new Macbooks useless in sunlight

Reaction score
I tried to post this thread on Apple's own forum but it kept getting removed by them so I'm trying here to see if anyone has the same complaint about the new silver finished laptops. My experience is that they cannot be used in direct sunlight because the glare from the casing is so bad it hurts your eyes! It's almost like looking into the sun which can't be good for you either - a safety issue perhaps?

Surely I can't be the only person who might occasionally want to use a silver finished macbook air or pro range in direct sunlight. I know we dont get much of it here in the UK but when we do it's nice to be able to take your laptop outside, especially for anyone who maybe works from home and can get away with doing some work outside in the garden in the summer months etc.

Well if you want to do this , take it from me , give any silver finished macbook or pro a very wide birth because it really isn't possible (without covering the whole casing in masking tape - which I have tried and this works actually but looks really naf)! You can use sunglasses which help a bit but then you can't see the screen very well because you're still getting alot of glare from the casing.

I think this is a major design oversight by Apple who I think will lose customers over this (the old white laptops were brilliant for this - white has the most minimal heat absorbtion as a clour and minimal reflective properties, and they always looked cool in my view - this new silver finish (I have an air), scrathces easily and is completely unusable outside in direct sunlight in my experience). Why is there no other colour option? - it's just crazy.
If you want to use a laptop outside in sunlight and you're thinking of buying a silver Macbook or pro or air - DONT!

Also has anyone else had their posts removed from Apple's website when they have raised genuine concerns about products? Does anyone else know of other main Mac forums where I can post this issue without fear of it being removed? Thanks for taking the time to read my rant btw.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If you are going to be working outside try and find some shade. If you can't then get one of those hard cases that cover and protect the machine.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion, it's definately practical if not very aesthetic...I'm not really into those ugly shades, I've seen them, even ordered one at one point of the internet but it didn't turn up - - the point is though the whole problem would not even exist if Mac made these laptops with a white finish option.

Reaction score
I use mine outside and the casing is not the problem, its the reflection on the glass screen.....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
impo: This is not an Apple issue. This is an LCD technology issue. I haven't seen any LCD's that are much good sitting outside in the sunlight. Of course the glossy displays certainly aren't going to help any. Even my matte screen doesn't help much with sunlight directly hitting the screen.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Thanks for your suggestion, it's definately practical if not very aesthetic...I'm not really into those ugly shades, I've seen them, even ordered one at one point of the internet but it didn't turn up - - the point is though the whole problem would not even exist if Mac made these laptops with a white finish option.

Spec has some pretty decent colors. I especially like the yellow/gold colored one. Although I'll probably end up getting the black one though.

They are in the process of remaking these because I don't think they fit on the newer MBP released in June.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hmmm... I've never had any issue with my MacBook Pro outside. But then, I usually don't sit in direct sunlight either.

Is this your first notebook? I only ask, because using any notebook while sitting in full sun is going to be problematic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.