I need help with an emac after failed osx tiger install error

Reaction score
Hello this is my fist post here

I do music hip hop production and graffic work and I have usually stuck with amd based pc's but I came across a an emac locally for $100 including desk,chair, copier,games and a controller so Had to give it a try

it's a emac g4 1.25 gig 40 gig 256 ram and it has the dvd rw drive

came with osx 10.3.8 but I want to upgrade so that I could use Reason 4.0 for music production and also the drivers for my roland keyboard dont work in 10.3

I got a retail copy of tiger (torrent) burned it from my pc and loaded it on the emac it recognized it and restarted and it did everything system check and all but then...

I keep getting a bomfatalerror even tried erase and install and zeroing out the hard drive same results it installs the base file then something else and it fails
now I got a mac with no os at all on it and no one local sale any version of osx

any help will be appreciated

any help is appreciated I would ideally like to get at least tiger to work but I would even settle for panther just have no clue on where to buy anything for it

Reaction score
I hate to sound miserable but in essence this is what happens when you use pirated software. The BOM issue is well known when migrating from Panther onwards. I'd recommend you buy a second hand retail disc on Ebay or even leopard which will run just fine. With leopard you will then get Time machine to automate your backups.

Another option is a firewire enclosure and HD and get access to a second mac, install OS X on the drive and then connect it to the emac, then select this as the boot volume.Or if you feel brave take out the HD from the emac, do what I've said above and then with OS X installed remove the HD from the enclosure and stick it bakc in the Emac.

OP
H
Reaction score
lol yeah that what I said as soon as it failed with errors

I looked around for a retail disk before getting the bootleg is there a specific ebay store you would recommend?

I havent messed with ebay every sence I got burned by 2 deferent people on car parts and all I got back from the security people was "theres nothing we can do" that was my first and last ebay experience left me a couple hundred in the whole with no parts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
With all due respect to Smartz, stick with Tiger for that eMac. It'll run better than Leopard and, quite frankly, there are few features of Leopard that are better than Tiger in my view. Yes, been there, tried that.

Where to buy Tiger? Try an Apple store, but be prepared to pay more, or eBay or Amazon. Just be 100% certain that it is the full retail version (black colored disk).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.