new hard drive reccomendations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2 GHZ
Hello fellow members. I'm new here. Today I had my Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz diagnosed at an apple store as having a "failing hard drive". :(

I quickly bought an external and backed up all of my data.

My plan is to get a new internal HD and install it myself. (i did this some years back on my original titanium 400 mghz powerbook G4... which im still proud to say is running well today nearly 9 years after i bought it!!)

Anyway, I can't seem to find any information on which drive I should get for my Macbook Pro 2.2 ghz. Any recommendations?

Advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks all!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
2.5" SATA2 is the form factor you would need.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2 GHZ
Thanks! I'll check into those... any recs on brand type?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Seagate, Western Digital, Toshiba are all decent IMHO. Some folks feel pretty strongly about particular brands. I've had HDD's from all of the above and others that have been flawless, and others that were duds. I'm currently running mostly Seagate Momentus 7200 rpms in my systems which are very impressive. I also recently installed a Super Talent 128GB SSD in my MacBook Pro and am loving it. Once you go SSD, it's hard to go back - like DSL and dial up. :)
Good luck, and welcome to Mac-Forums!
-Dave

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2 GHZ
Sorry for the ignorance... but what does SSD mean? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature
You should also check the speed.

The newer Macs, like my MBP, use a 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive, while older ones, like my MB, use a 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive.

Double check the speed in System Profiler -> "Serial-ATA"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories will give you all the details. I upgraded mine from 200 Gb to 500 Gb with no problems at all.

To be honest, whilst I chose Scorpio Blue, I don't think there's a bad drive out there.

Post back if you don't get what you need.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2 GHZ
Hi again all... ok so i checked my system profiler... i have a 2.2 ghz duo core... the current serial ata speed is 1.5GB... does that mean i should stay with a 1.5 GB or can i upgrade this to 3GB also? Lastly, would getting a 7200rpm drive increase the possibility of overheating? I think that should cover it in the way of questions! THanks so much everyone for your input and help!!!! T'is very much needed!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.