13inch MBP: Is my battery defective?

Reaction score
OK, so the Apple advertised battery time is 7 hours. I understand these are generally high-ball estimates, however independent reviews from cnet and other laptop mags have placed it at 6 hours if not higher while running music, the internet, video, etc.

I just did a full charge, let it go down to 0, and repeat. My results battery lasted 4 hours and 20 minutes. I had Firefox open with a few tabs, Adium, Evernote, Microsoft Word, and iTunes. I had my iTunes constantly playing at slightly over 50% volume (connected to headphones) the entire time. I browsed the internet for maybe 15 minutes and chatted on Adium for another 15. I would call this LIGHT usage. No games, no video, nothing out of the ordinary.

Is there something wrong with my battery? I expected 5 if not 6 hours!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
I was at the Apple store today and overheard someone with the same problem with a 13 inch MBP. They were told 4-6 hours with general use, which includes surfing the web, wireless, low screen brightness, low keyboard brightness and no BT. I can tell you that I get only 4-6 hours on my MBP 15" models. I did have to replace the battery on one unit as I was only getting 2 hours with light use. I believe the usage you described is a bit taxing on the battery and heavier than you think. Four to five hours is probably all you will get....sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
What conditions were the 7 hours based on? Try replicating the conditions and then measuring time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.