Hooking MBP up to Samsung LCD TV

Reaction score
I just purchased a mini display port to HDMI cable to hook up my new MBP to my Samsung LCD TV. I have no problem hooking them up or changing the source on my TV. However, after pushing FN F7, all that I see on my TV is my wallpaper even if other programs are open. I tried opening VLC to watch a movie and this made the TV screen go gray (after I closed the VLC window, the TV went back to my computer wallpaper, still no programs like Safari that were open). Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this a problem with my Mac settings or the TV settings? It seems to be the former.
Thanks
JEM

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Set your MacBook Pro to "mirror" the display. It seems you may have it set to extend the desktop instead. Let us know if that works.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the suggestion. How do I set the MBP to mirror the display? Could you give me instructions?
Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook `08 4gb ram, 750gb, 2GHz intel Core 2 Duo, OSX 10.9 - Ipad4 - Iphone5 - AppleTV3 -
Hi, i already connected my mac to Lcd Samsung, i see it ok, but i can´t hear anything on tv, only on my mac.! Should i change any application or should i get and audio cable ?
thanks !

T

todd51

The mini display port will not output audio, just video. If you want the audio to go out to an amp or other surround sound system, you'll have to get the proper cable and plug it into the headphone port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook `08 4gb ram, 750gb, 2GHz intel Core 2 Duo, OSX 10.9 - Ipad4 - Iphone5 - AppleTV3 -
thanks todd , i appreciate it.!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.