Memory upgrade - reusing memory

Reaction score
Hi All,
I recently switched my last model (07) Macbook Pro with newer Macbook Pro (end of 2008 version). I upgraded my 07 with extra memory and I am wondering if I can reuse it in 08 version. It seems like the bus speed is different but will 3 GB (2 of old and 1 new) will still be better than 2 GB of new one? And can it cause any problem?

Thanks.
Abe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
I don't believe that the old memory module will fit in the new 08 MBP. On a more important note the 08 model uses DDR3 memory which is much faster than your old memory. You do not want to mix even if you can. Memory is very inexpensive right now so I would purchase 4GB of new memory. You will need 2x2gb modules. Good luck.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Matching pairs is generally a better idea for RAM. The pin numbers are different and therefore they won't fit. DDR2 RAM is 200 Pin and DDR3 uses 204 Pins.

Here is a list of RAM from some of the more reputable makers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.