Safari Icon Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Unibody, 2.53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 10.5.7
Hey, this is something pretty trivial but it's bugging me. There was an update for Safari 4 which I downloaded, but then noticed that the icon for Safari reverted back to the original one. No big deal I thought, I'll just change it again using Candybar, may have gone back because of the update. I change it again in Candybar and although within Candybar it shows it has changed, it is still the original icon showing in the dock, even after a restart.

Any thoughts?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could always change the icon w/o Candybar. Go to /Applications, right click Safari and select "Show Package Contents". Navigate to Contents > Resources. In this folder is a file called compass.icns - this is the Safari icon. Replace this with an icon of your choice but note that it has to be in icns format. If you don't have an icns version of your icon, you can always use img2icns to convert your image into an icns.

As an aside, I would rename the original icns to something like compass_backup.icns or some other name in case your new icon doesn't work or you decide to go back to the original.

OP
BenBarlow85
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I went to the Resources folder, found the Compass file but it is showing as the Icon I want it to be, not the original Safari Icon. Seems that only the dock is showing it, everywhere else is the custom one.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Remove the dock icon and drag Safari back to the dock.

OP
BenBarlow85
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good looks man, I really shoulda hought of that haha.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.