Rejecting old CDs

Reaction score
Hi,

some days ago I tried to play some old Lucasarts games such as Star Wars Rebellion or Monkey Island's on my Boot Camp partition. However, the CDs are not detected by the computer and after 5 seconds, they are rejected.

It only happens with these old CDs (meant to play with Win95-98) since I can use brand-new games CDs, and I'm sure that 3 or 4 months ago I played SWRebellion on Boot Camp and I had no problem (quite strange isn't it?)

I don't think it is an OS problem, since it happens with my WinXP on BootCamp, on OSX and on WinXP on VMWare Fusion, so it may be a hardware problem. It isn't because the CDs are scratched either, since I can use them on my desktop PC (not a Mac). My notebook is a MacBook White 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Do you know what the problem may be? Thanks for helping!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are the CDs the original game CDs? Or are they ones that you burned yourself on your PC?

Regards.

Reaction score
I just ordered a new MBP - it's one of the latest machines that were unveiled at the expo last month in June - I hope I'm not going to run into this kind of a problem with my new MBP as I burn CD's/DVD's and I'm planning on running my old PC games (these games are on a CD/DVD) on my Windows XP partition under DOSbox/Virtual PC/VMware Player (note that this is NOT VMware Fusion) under Windows 98SE?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Have you tried them on another machine to make sure the CDs aren't just worn out and won't read? That being said, in my experience the optical drives on MacBooks are pretty flaky. They don't like to read certain disks. Sometimes just repeatedly inserting and ejecting the disk will cause it to eventually be recognized, but not always. I actually had to buy an external drive with my old MacBook because it rejected so many disks.

OP
K
Reaction score
The CDs I use are the original ones, so no problem with this. And I tried them on my other desktop PC (winxp) and they work properly. Sometimes I tried to insert them repeatedly (4-5 times) and it didn't work either. I think I'll end up buying an external drive xD. Thanks for your replies!!!

Reaction score
My nephew told me the new MBP's might be rejecting your old CD's because it has a 64-bit processor, and the older ones are only 32-bit. Hopefully this might shed some light on the problem.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just for the fun of it, what happens if you are booted into OSX and you insert the CD's? Do they eject there also? OSX should read the CD's. I put in old CD 's I burned back in the day in Windows 98 as backups and they all mount and read in my recent Macs.

Either that or there is something with the new superdrive that does not like the old CD's for some reason.

OP
K
Reaction score
When I'm using OSX the CDs are also rejected the same way they are when using WinXP on Boot Camp. The strangest issue is that some months ago I was able to play these games without problem on my MB (WinXP Boot Camp), and now I can't, I can only play them on my desktop PC WinXP. Quite strange jajaja. Thanks to everyone for replying ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.