Downgrading from Leopard to Tiger

Reaction score
Trying to downgrade my powerbook G4 from Leopard to Tiger and I'm having some problems.

When I use the original restore disks that came with the computer, my mac refuses to restart to initialize the installation process.

When I use Disk Utility to try to delete my HD for a fresh install, all my options to delete my HD are shaded out and unavailable, the only option left is to "Delete Free Space".

Leopard runs way too slow with my setup.

What should I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pop the Leopard disc in and boot from that, go to utilities >Disk Utility and hit the erase button there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
One has to ask are "the original restore disks that came with the computer" Tiger or Leopard? You say it's a G4 PBook, which tells us the disks are Tiger-based (but not full retail Tiger). That's the reason why the PB won't boot from the original disk 1. Leopard currently on your PB won't accept it.

As harryb advises, it's a matter of using a Leopard disk (full retail version) to get the PB booted, and then you can Erase the HD before reinstalling Tiger.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
One has to ask are "the original restore disks that came with the computer" Tiger or Leopard? You say it's a G4 PBook, which tells us the disks are Tiger-based (but not full retail Tiger). That's the reason why the PB won't boot from the original disk 1. Leopard currently on your PB won't accept it.

As harryb advises, it's a matter of using a Leopard disk (full retail version) to get the PB booted, and then you can Erase the HD before reinstalling Tiger.

I don't believe any PPC Mac was sold with Leopard. Apple had already phased out the PPC models by the time Leopard was released (October of 2007). With that said, I'm not sure why you would think the machine wouldn't boot from the original System Discs.

OP
M
Reaction score
I don't believe any PPC Mac was sold with Leopard. Apple had already phased out the PPC models by the time Leopard was released (October of 2007). With that said, I'm not sure why you would think the machine wouldn't boot from the original System Discs.

I don't know why either, but the system refuses to restart to initialize installation, and yes they wouldn't boot from the original system disks.

OP
M
Reaction score
I tried putting in the leopard disk, but disk utility still wont allow me to erase the HD.

I don't know what to do.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What error does Disk Utility give when you try erase booted from the Leopard DVD? Have you tried the Partition Tab of Disk Utility? Are options all grayed out?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.