Remote Desktop

Reaction score
I downloaded Microsoft's Remote Desktop client for the Mac, and it installed an application in my Applications folder. It was named "Remote Desktop Connection," and I renamed it to "Remote Desktop." The next day, when installing updates, I think I noticed something about Apple's remote desktop software being downloaded. After installing my updates, that one included, I noticed the icon for Remote Desktop had been replaced with a generic application icon. When I double click it, it prompts me for my password. When I enter my password, it asks me for a serial number, saying it came with the manual from some remote desktop software I don't have. When I leave it blank or enter random numbers, it says it's invalid. Can anyone tell me what's wrong and/or where my Microsoft remote desktop client went?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Don't rename app bundles or disasters like this can happen. It sounds like it was overwritten with an update for Apple's Remote Desktop which you didn't have installed. It also likely asked you for a serial because you have to purchase ARD.

Reinstall RDC but don't rename it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.