slow and stalling g4

Reaction score
I've had my powerbook g4 (osx 10.4.11; 1.33 ghz; 256 mb) for five years. Its been great and I've never had a problem until the past few months. It stalls frequently when using applications and I have to force quit all the time. It also is really slow to switch between applications. For example, if I have Word, Firefox, and Adobe Acrobat Reader open it takes a long time to fully return from one application to another. Doesn't seem to matter what applications I am using, it is consistently slow. Do I need a new computer? Is this one about to crash? Or is there some kind of maintenance I can do? In addition, is it normal for my laptop to get really hot when using it for several hours?

Any help is appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
kld293

I have run in to the same problem with my iBook G4 same specs just more
memory... things would run slow.. and even safari would have issues .. I
would also loose some of my music just would not play in iTunes. and would
not show issues in hdd properties.. or even diskwarrior.. replaced and
everything is better now

So it might be this .. or not can't say for sure..

hope this helps.

Reaction score
I've had my powerbook g4 (osx 10.4.11; 1.33 ghz; 256 mb) for five years. Its been great and I've never had a problem until the past few months. It stalls frequently when using applications and I have to force quit all the time. It also is really slow to switch between applications. For example, if I have Word, Firefox, and Adobe Acrobat Reader open it takes a long time to fully return from one application to another. Doesn't seem to matter what applications I am using, it is consistently slow. Do I need a new computer? Is this one about to crash? Or is there some kind of maintenance I can do? In addition, is it normal for my laptop to get really hot when using it for several hours?
You might look into upgrading your RAM, since 256MB is only the minimum for Tiger. The 12" PowerBook G4/1.33GHz can take up to 1.25GB, and the larger models will handle as much as 2GB. Laptops have really poor ventilation compared to desktops, so it's pretty normal for it to get hot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature
Ram... 256MB... that is the ram soldered on the logic board,
there is one SO-DIMM slot, so just get a PC2700 module, 200 pin, 333 Mhz DDR.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.