64 bit Windows 7 question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 iMac 24" 2.66 GHz
OK. I searched and read lots of Windows 7/boot camp questions and answers but am still unsure...

On my '09 24" iMac ~ I know that for a windows install I have to use 32-bit versions of XP or Vista w/ Leopard and boot camp and I currently have the 32-bit XP OS loaded on a 50GB partition.

I'm planning to upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out (no rc for me) and I am also planning on upgrading to Snow Leopard once its released.

Now my question; will Snow Leopard and boot camp allow my to use the 64-bit Windows 7 version? Will the current version of Boot Camp and Leopard support the 64-bit edition? I'm probably going to pre-order to save the big bucks - but tomorrow is the deadline for the pre-order price (from Windows 7 site).

Thank you,

Rick M.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now my question; will Snow Leopard and boot camp allow my to use the 64-bit Windows 7 version? Will the current version of Boot Camp and Leopard support the 64-bit edition? I'm probably going to pre-order to save the big bucks - but tomorrow is the deadline for the pre-order price (from Windows 7 site).

Windows 7 64 bit works with the current Boot Camp, several folks who post to this forum have successfully installed it. I can't imagine Snow Leopard not having a completely new or updated version of Boot Camp and drivers which will support the 64 bit operating systems of either Vista or Windows 7.

I have already placed my pre-order of Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade with NewEgg (no tax, free shipping) and am looking forward to installing it after I install the Snow Leopard upgrade.

By the way, both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 are on the same DVD so you have a choice of installing either.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 iMac 24" 2.66 GHz
I appreciate the input.

I just pre-ordered the Home Upgrade version from newegg. You really can't beat the $49 price tag (as far as Windows OS upgrades go). And if I elect to stay w/ XP (the end of October) - I can always resell Windows 7.

Now, bring on Snow Leopard!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac, 2.4 GHz, C2D, 4 GB RAM, OS X 10.6.4
If you have 4 GB of RAM or less, what is the advantage of installing Windows 7 64-bit?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.