Using Time Machine to backup an External Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I have two external hard drives - one portable one, and one not portable. The not portable one I use as a time machine backup drive. Currently, it only backs up the local hard drive.
Is there any way to get it to also back up my portable hard drive? I've tried removing it from the "Do Not Back Up" list, but the option is grayed out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple support will tell you it doesn't, but apparently it does. You have to remove the external drives from the excluded list. (I know, you've already tried that.) However, Time Machine will not backup any drive, internal or external that's not formatted to HFS+.

What format is your external drive using? Also see the following discussion on another forum - same subject: Link

Regards.

OP
Leukeh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Thanks for your help! Unfortunately I need it formatted to FAT-32 since I use it on both Mac and PC. I haven't been able to find a work around for this... someone on another forum said to put this into Terminal:
com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1
but that did nothing except give me a "Command not found" error.

I guess I'll have to live with it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.