modem/airport password problem

Reaction score
My old iBook and airport card will only accept a WEP password but my provider has send me a new wifi modem which will only accept a WPA password - so no wifi. Has anyone else come across this and found a solution, other than buying a new computer?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A possible solution is to use your own WiFi router or modem instead of the one your provider sent you. However, most routers, even new ones support all three current forms of encryption. What make model WiFi router did they send you? It may be all you have to do is reset it to factory default and then reenter the parameter options. It might support WEP.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for responding. My old router simply won't work, I've tried it.
I live in France and they've sent me a neufbox router which uses an ADSL filter to connect to the phone socket. I've no idea how to reset the paramaters. Do you?

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Usually the router has a tiny pinhole somewhere in the back or in the bottom with a tiny button recessed into it. While it's on, you push a pin into the hole and depress the button for a few seconds then release. The router will reboot with all the factory settings restored.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.