How do I turn my MacBook Pro into a DVR?

Reaction score
Ok, first off, great forum, there is a ton of good information on here. Anyways, I'm a recent switcher and I have a quick question.

I was wondering if there is a way to record live television being broadcast from my HDTV using the built-in antenna in the HDTV to my MacBook Pro. I've researched the topic online but most websites talk about doing it with a cable box. I don't have access to a cable box for various reasons (economic, parental, etc). Is it possible? Also, could I do it strictly through software or would it require both hardware and software?

Again, I want to record television broadcasts from my HDTV to my MacBook Pro and my HDTV is not connected to any sort of external cable box.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
This is an interesting read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I have the EyeTV Hybrid. Pretty darn sweet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I'm looking at getting the EyeTV myself (to use with my Hauppage HDPVR) - it looks like a really nice software package..

Reaction score
the eyeTV sounds like you watch tv on our mac and record tv on oyur mac.... not on a regular tv? Am i correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
the eyeTV sounds like you watch tv on our mac and record tv on oyur mac.... not on a regular tv? Am i correct?

Hook the Mac up to the TV!

OP
D
Reaction score
That's what I'm trying to figure out. The EyeTV Hybrid plugs through USB into your Mac and has a coaxial port on the other end. However, that setup would have nothing to do with an HDTV. I'm trying to see if there is a way to connect my HDTV to my Mac and DVR live television being broadcast from my HDTV's built-in tuner. I'm starting to think that it is impossible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
You connect your Mac to the HDTV via HDMI, DVI, etc.. Now you plug your antenna and/or cable (coax) into the EyeTV. The EyeTV IS the tuner. Instead of using the HDTV's built in HD tuner you use the EyeTV's to playback HDTV and record HDTV and watch it on your Mac or your HDTV as long as the Mac is connected. Is this making any more sense now?

Reaction score
i think so. Is there a way to make it so you can stream mvoies to your tv as well as record shows to your macbook pro WITHOUT having it connected to the tv? So for example if i could have my computer upstairs and the tv downstairs... and my macbook is wirelessly connected to the tv and then whatever hardware can record to the macbook pro wirelessly or stream movies from the macbook pro hard drive?

EDIT: I just thought wirelessly doing it would be cool although it may be out of my price range. Also, would an older core duo mac with the eyeTV hybrid (the usb stick one) be fine or would it be taxing on it (the x1600 video card version etc.) Also is the eyeTV (which i saw around $150) the cheapest route to go to record tv you are viewing/watch shows from your mac onto your tv?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Sounds to me like you'd need software to catch both an optical audio signal and a DVI signal from your HDTV. Not to mention you'd need a mini-TOSlink cable to plug into the MBP audio input and some kind of HW to receive the DVI signal.

Seems to me the easiest route would be to buy the EyeTV Hybrid, and use the breakoff cable to input component video and stereo audio into the included recording software. Not sure if your HDTV would feed OUT a component signal, though.

To get HDTV quality on the MBP with the EyeTV is quite easy, and it includes an HDTV antenna in the package.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.
The main article in MacLife magazine was about this. It is worth checking out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.