using Belkin and other docks with iphone

Reaction score
Hi - my daughter and son-in-law just bought iphones and are figuring things out. My son-in-law has been using a Belkin in the car with his ipod and tried to use his iphone. It came up with a thing saying he couldn't do it unless he was in airplane mode. The trouble with this is you can't receive calls in that mode. Is there some way around this?

Also they tried it on my Bose docking station and the same thing came up.

Sue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
i just tried to search for it.. and i could not find anything.. i am sorry.. maybe someone else can find something. i hope they do b/c i am getting my phone tomorrow and i run it in my car as well..

Reaction score
I believe the "airplane mode" warning just means you can expect audio interference from the iPhone's phone and data network when you are playing music in that dock. A "true" iPhone dock has circuitry to avoid this -- some aftermarket stuff does, some doesn't and apparently the "works with" designation doesn't really tell you whether it will or won't.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When it pops up asking if you want to use Airplane mode, just select NO.

It will still play music on all the devices I've tried (maybe a dozen or so), it just will not charge with that device.

For an adapter that you can use in the Bose docking station to be able to charge your iPhone - grab this.

The newer iPods and iPhones only charge via the USB pins. Many of the older docks charged only via the FireWire pins. The older iPods will charge via USB or FireWire, so they will still charge on any of the newer docks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.