AirPort Extreme Firmware Update Problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4 MHz iMac, 15" MacBook Pro , Mac OS 10.6.7
Two weeks ago I thought that I had downloaded and installed the latest AirPort Extreme Firmware Update 7.4.2 but then I started to receive notices once a week that my current version is still 7.4.1.

Before I try again to do this update, I would like to know if there are others who have installed this update without problems and if they are happy with the update or have had to revert back to 7.4.1 version.

I have read some have had trouble with their external hard drive connected to AirPort Extreme via USB...

See: Apple - Support - Discussions - USB storage unavailable after 7.4.2 ...

(My external hard drive is connected directly to my iMac via USB).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Snow Leopard), MDD G4 (Leopard), iBook G4 (Leopard), iPod Touch
I upgraded to 7.4.2 and had a bunch of problems. It was difficult getting onto the internet, the computer would "fall off" the 'net, it was terribly slow, it was better in the morning, off & on in the afternoon, impossible to get on at night.

Luckily, we have a desktop Mac that's hardwired to the Airport Extreme, so we could still use it. But our 2 laptops and the iPod were not able to connect at all after about 9 p.m.

I don't know if there were other contributing factors, but we disconnected our 2.4GHz phone, and it seems to be working now (it's 1 a.m. & still on), but it's definitely slower than before the upgrade. I'll try it a bit longer, but I'm expecting to downgrade back to 7.4.1. (I just found out how to do that. ;D)

Wait, and check out other forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Snow Leopard), MDD G4 (Leopard), iBook G4 (Leopard), iPod Touch
Bad Apple

An update on the experiment. I put the computer to sleep (which disconnects) and when I woke it up, it went back on the network with no problem. :D

But then, I tried to watch a YouTube video -- hopeless! I've watched the same one many times before with nary a buffer, but now, no go. :Angry:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.