Booting from an external DVD drive not working

Reaction score
Hi there,

I want to install tiger on my ibookG3

This is how i am trying to do it

iPhoneUpload-2.jpg

I have put my tiger disk in at it comes up "please restart you computer to continue installation"

So it restarts boot then boots from the HDD not my External dvd drive?

I press the alt/option key and i get this screen, but i don't see my exteral dvd drive?

IMG_0118.jpg

could someone please help me

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is the external DVD drive hooked up via Firewire or USB 2? Your iBook can not boot from an external source if it's USB 2. Must be Firewire. If the external drive is USB 2 it will not appear as a bootable device.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Is the external DVD drive hooked up via Firewire or USB 2? Your iBook can not boot from an external source if it's USB 2. Must be Firewire. If the external drive is USB 2 it will not appear as a bootable device.

Regards.

DAM, The drive is USB 2.0

But it has a firewire cable which connects in the back, which is USB 2

would firewire to firewire work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the DVD drive has a Firewire connector on the back of the unit, it must support a Firewire connection. You'll need to go somewhere like Best Buy or Office Depot, Staples, Radio Shack, etc, and buy a normal male - female Firewire cable to connect to the iBook. Then it will boot. You can not use a USB to Firewire adapter or vice - versa.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As chscag has pointed out PPC machines can only boot external drives via Firewire. USB2 is only bootable by Intel machines., Also you may need to format the exterior drive by selecting Apple Partition Map, even if using only the one partition, and Mac OS Extended (journaled).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
go somewhere like Best Buy or Office Depot, Staples, Radio Shack, etc, and buy a normal male - female Firewire cable to connect to the iBook.

Actually the sockets of most i have seen mean a male to male cable is needed, most enclosures i have seen have female as does the iBook

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.