• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Is a Mac and final cut pro good for making videos

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a mac and final cut pro for making videos. Is this a good idea and if so, what kind of mac should I get?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sure it will. Are you thinking notebook or desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz, 4GB RAM 15" MBP (Late 2008)
Well a Mac Pro would be the best option for flexibility because it offers such a wide range of customization. That way you can get what you need in a computer. But if you plan on wanting to use your computer wherever (or are just limited on space) a MacBook Pro would be fine, considering you make sure it has enough beef to run Final Cut Pro smoothly.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which one is better?

Well, that's entirely subjective. A notebook is certainly better than a desktop if you need to travel with it. And a desktop is much better than a notebook if you need to put expansion cards into it. So, you need to think about your needs and tell us how you plan to use the machine before we can make a good recommendation.

OP
P
Reaction score
Well, I would like to be able to edit videos outside, and I am limited on space, so maybe a notebook would work. But what kind of notebook should I get.
I would like a lot of space for videos, but I don't want the most expensive one. Also, what version of final cut should I get for editing. Which would be best for me?

p.s. My videos will go on youtube.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I would like to be able to edit videos outside, and I am limited on space, so maybe a notebook would work. But what kind of notebook should I get.
I would like a lot of space for videos, but I don't want the most expensive one. Also, what version of final cut should I get for editing. Which would be best for me?

p.s. My videos will go on youtube.

I tend to think the low-end 15" MacBook Pro would fit the bill for you. And if you're just cutting YouTube videos, you should probably consider iMovie (which comes preinstalled on new Macs), before you spend anything extra on Final Cut/Express.

OP
P
Reaction score
I tend to think the low-end 15" MacBook Pro would fit the bill for you. And if you're just cutting YouTube videos, you should probably consider iMovie (which comes preinstalled on new Macs), before you spend anything extra on Final Cut/Express.

I forgot to mention, I'll be doing videos in school with Final Cut.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot to mention, I'll be doing videos in school with Final Cut.

Well, that would be your only option then. There are two versions, Final Cut and Final Cut Express. If the school requires Final Cut, see if you can get an academic discount on both the Mac and the software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Keep in mind you probably want a Macbook Pro (now a muddied name) with a discreet graphics processor. So in US$ terms, that is the $2000 one. Specifically, the models that come with the 9600M GT graphics processor. If you can't afford that, then look at getting a refurb with a discreet processor.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep in mind you probably want a Macbook Pro (now a muddied name) with a discreet graphics processor. So in US$ terms, that is the $2000 one. Specifically, the models that come with the 9600M GT graphics processor. If you can't afford that, then look at getting a refurb with a discreet processor.

I don't know about that. The 9400M, even though it uses shared memory is actually more powerful from a processing perspective than the 8600M discrete part found in its predecessors. For the limited amount of GPU processing Final Cut Pro will do, I wouldn't think having the 9600M would make much, if any difference.

3D modeling, CAD and gaming are a different story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Here's to consider on the 13" MBP - I have the "predecessor" system with a faster processor - 2.4GHz Macbook (only differences between my model and the 13" MBP is firewire, SD slot, built in battery and the new base config MBP has a slower core speed) Other then that, they both have the same rez screen, both have 9400m, bla bla bla (the best thing about the 13" mbp is really the built in firewire IMHO).

I have used Final Cut Studio on my macbook, and it works fairly well But... If I had unlimited resources and I was doing all of my editing portable (like what you are considering) I would have chosen a 15" system.

Reason: Final Cut Pro and its related programs (Motion, Color, etc.) all use a LOT of screen realestate. 1280x800 sounds like a lot, but when you run some of the programs it really isn't. 1440x900 is what's in the 15" - it may not sound like a ton more but it is more, and the more screen realestate you have, the easier it will be to use the tools that make up Final Cut Studio.

It doesn't bother me too much because my macbook is not my primary editor, and if I have to use it for an extended time as an editor I hook it up to an external monitor which defeats the portability of it. If it were my primary editor hardware, I'd have either a 15" MBP w/ discreet GPU+memory or the 17" MBP w/ discreet GPU+memory.

Of course, if you can swing the 17", and don't mind carrying around a rather large laptop (compared to the 15" or 13") then that will give you the most available resolution to work with to make your editing experience more pleasurable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.