Want to run games, should I get XP or 7?

Reaction score
I'm looking to get either windows xp or windows 7 to run through bootcamp so I can play games. I'm looking to play games such as Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Starcraft 2, and Diablo 3, as well as a few of my favorite oldies. So should I get XP to run these or when these games come out will they only be compatible with Windows 7 (the ones they won't make a mac version for)? Also I'm already running bootcamp so if I have to run emulation software to run these games through windows 7 I don't know if it will work? And if you guys do suggest windows 7 should I go with basic or premium? (do i need the xp emulation software or can I just save that $100). As I said i'm looking to play older games that were made for XP when it first came out, as well as games that have yet to come out and probably won't till sometime in 2010 (hopefully). Thanks for your help!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm looking to get either windows xp or windows 7 to run through bootcamp so I can play games. I'm looking to play games such as Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Starcraft 2, and Diablo 3, as well as a few of my favorite oldies. So should I get XP to run these or when these games come out will they only be compatible with Windows 7 (the ones they won't make a mac version for)?

Because of the huge installed base of Windows XP users, I somehow doubt any of these games will be made exclusively for Windows 7.

Also I'm already running bootcamp so if I have to run emulation software to run these games through windows 7 I don't know if it will work?

Are you referring to the compatibility mode that Windows 7 is reported to have (i.e. Windows XP running in a virtual machine within Windows 7)?

Typically virtualization technologies don't work well or at all with modern 3D games (including virtualization software for the Mac). Regardless, I'd imagine any game written since Windows XP was released will likely run just fine without the need to drop into compatibility mode.

And if you guys do suggest windows 7 should I go with basic or premium? (do i need the xp emulation software or can I just save that $100).

I'd go with the Home Premium version, not Professional. No, you really don't need the XP compatibility mode unless you're running really old applications (and as I said before, games likely won't run within it due to hardware abstraction).

As I said i'm looking to play older games that were made for XP when it first came out, as well as games that have yet to come out and probably won't till sometime in 2010 (hopefully). Thanks for your help!

I think you'll be fine with either Windows XP or Windows 7. The only reason I'd consider Windows 7 is if the games you want to play require DirectX 10+ (the Steam games don't, not sure about Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm having the same dilemma. Windows 7 will run the old games?

It depends on how old the game is. If it's something that came out within the last 7-7 years, I'd say it's probably fine. Anything that was coded for NT-based operating systems (i.e. XP, Vista, 7) should be OK.

Reaction score
The oldest games I ran in Vista x64 were Age of Empires (1) and Starcraft. Neither had any difficulties.

OP
N
Reaction score
Well I just installed windows 7 Home on my mac and things are running great. However after installing Left 4 Dead and installing the updates I tried to open the .exe file for the game and it says "Preparing to Launch Left 4 Dead"... and then nothing happens. The box disappears after a second or two and that's it. The screen blinks black then back to normal for a fraction of a second the first time I try to fire up the game and after that I just get the same box coming up and then disappearing. I tried running compatibility mode as an administrator in Vista with service pack 2 and 3 and also in XP service pack 2 and 3 and none of those worked either. Any ideas of how I can get this up and running? As a side note it's not just Left 4 Dead. I also downloaded the Left 4 Dead 2 demo and that does the same thing. Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I just installed windows 7 Home on my mac and things are running great. However after installing Left 4 Dead and installing the updates I tried to open the .exe file for the game and it says "Preparing to Launch Left 4 Dead"... and then nothing happens. The box disappears after a second or two and that's it. The screen blinks black then back to normal for a fraction of a second the first time I try to fire up the game and after that I just get the same box coming up and then disappearing. I tried running compatibility mode as an administrator in Vista with service pack 2 and 3 and also in XP service pack 2 and 3 and none of those worked either. Any ideas of how I can get this up and running? As a side note it's not just Left 4 Dead. I also downloaded the Left 4 Dead 2 demo and that does the same thing. Thanks!

Did you install the Boot Camp drivers from the Leopard/Snow Leopard disc? Have you tried updating to the latest drivers for your video card? Does your hardware actually meet the minimum requirements for Left 4 Dead?

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes my hardware meets the requirements for sure, it's pretty much a fully loaded new macbook pro

I am currently running snow leopard but I used the disk that came with my laptop to install the drivers for bootcamp after the windows install which seemed to work fine because it got the sound and everything else working

As far as the update i'm not sure, where could I check for that? I assume it should be up to date being a new computer but who knows

I clicked on the apple icon --> software update and it says everything is up to date but i'm not sure if that includes the video card software or not

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz Macbook Pro 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB
As far as the update i'm not sure, where could I check for that? I assume it should be up to date being a new computer but who knows

I clicked on the apple icon --> software update and it says everything is up to date but i'm not sure if that includes the video card software or not

So, after you installed Windows 7 via bootcamp...You used which disk to install the updates? And you where in fact in Windows when you installed these updates correct?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.