Graphics Card Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hello, I just updated my early 2008 MacBook to 4 GB of RAM, and I was wondering if it's possible to allocate more VRAM to my GMA X3100 card with 144 MB of VRAM, or will it take more VRAM if it needs it? Also, would my graphics card be able to use more VRAM if I ran Windows?

Reaction score
ya, under windows you can designate for up to 768, but otherwise, no. its always helpful having more ram, specially when u can get 4 gigs off amazon.com for like $25 after rebate for 2 sticks of mac ram from corsair. i believe under mac the largest vram can only be 256mb dedicated to an integraded if im not mistakened.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, the GMA X3100 is allocated a maximum of 144 MB and uses an additional 16 MB if using an external display. No way to increase it. Fixed by the firmware.

Regards.

OP
KeithTeeple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
No, the GMA X3100 is allocated a maximum of 144 MB and uses an additional 16 MB if using an external display. No way to increase it. Fixed by the firmware.

Regards.

Thank you for the quick replies. I guess I might as well buy Windows and pump more VRAM onto the card. Any idea where I can get XP Basic (preferably a store), and how much that would cost.

Also, do you know how to put more VRAM on the graphics card under windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
OS X automatically allocates more memory to the graphics card as necessary. It is not "fixed."

About integrated video on Intel-based Macs

Depending on the application or task being accomplished, Mac OS X may make additional main memory available to the graphics processor for texture use beyond the base amount mentioned above. The most common types of applications that request more system memory to be used as graphics memory are 3D and graphics-intense applications. Using an extended desktop or mirrored desktop may also increase the amount of system memory used as graphics memory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.