Strange problem with Safari

Reaction score
Sometimes when download different kinds of files, Safari adds the file extension .zip.
Is there anyway to turn this off?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Safari does not add the .zip extension. The source of the content has zipped the file to reduce it's size and therefore save on their bandwidth, reduce the strain on their servers, reduce the amount of time it takes you to download the file, etc.

OP
K
Reaction score
No, I KNOW that safari adds the extension, since when i download the exact same file from the exact same location with firefox, it´s without the extension. And the thing is, I have to rename the file everytime since it´s not a Zip file.. very annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
No u Don't KNOW that - what safari and firefox shows is a function of this setting - see here in show info;

Click for full size -

OP
K
Reaction score
What? nobody understands me?
When i download, let´s say an .ipa file with safari, safari adds a .zip extension to that file, firefox does not. I was wondering if there is a way to turn this off in safari.

OP
K
Reaction score
the file says after download xxxx.ipa.zip i then have to rename it, and remove the .zip extension to change the file.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
the file says after download xxxx.ipa.zip i then have to rename it, and remove the .zip extension to change the file.

How about giving us a couple of these file names and their location so we can check it out.

It would be preferable if these were legal files and not cracked (or pirated) iPod and iPhone apps.

OP
K
Reaction score
It´s all of them, just some few times they got the correct file extension .ipa, (without the .zip.) with firefox they always get the correct one.

remembered now that i had some problems with the addons for the open office aswell, getting strange file extensions..

Reaction score
I see this problem, too

I know this doesn't help, but I'm having the exact same problem.

I'm developing an iPhone app, and using Hudson to do nightly builds. So, one of the artifacts is my .ipa file.

If a Firefox user goes to my webpage and downloads the .ipa, everything works fine, the file's name ends in .ipa.

If a do the exact same thing in Safari, my app is now named "myapp.ipa.zip"

Just dropping the .zip from the end of the file name fixes my problem. This is annoying, though, because I need special instructions for my testers. If they double-click this file, then it will get unpacked. Now I need to say "If you download with Safari, be sure to turn off automatic unpacking, and also rename the file when you are done"

Reaction score
Hey guys you don't have to always reply! Why do you think almost everybody is stupid?
Knutarn is absolutely right!
This is exactly a problem with Safari 4. However it doesn't look like a bug or something. I guess that since apple believes that the only way to download IPA files from internet is through iTunes, or else is almost always piracy, they have designed it as a simple and secret way to fight back.
That's why you can NOT download an IPA file with Safari.
It treats these files differently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The "problem" is that .ipa files use zip packaging and compression, and the web server is assigning them a MIME type of "application/zip" just like regular zip files.

When Safari downloads the file, it notices the MIME type is the one for a ZIP file, and that the file is missing the correct extension, so it adds it on.

So long as the web server is identifying .IPA files as regular ZIP files, Safari will add the ZIP extension. The only way around this is to change the MIME type on the server.

Reaction score
Are you suggesting that ONLY safari does this because it's actually more sophisticated than other browsers like FireFox and Opera?

Reaction score
I have a solution :D

I don't know if you ever found a solution, but for anyone else who finds this post.. here's the solution:

In Safari, click on "Safari" in the top left corner (on the menu bar). Then click "Preferences...". Under the "General" tab, at the bottom untick (it should already be ticked) which says "Open "safe" files after downloading". Basically the .ipa is getting opened and the Archive Utility thinks it's something like a .tar and it opens it into a .zip. Anyways, here's the steps even simpler...

> Open Safari
> Click on "Safari" (top left corner on the menu bar)
> Click "Preferences..."
> Click on the "General" tab, if you aren't already there
> Un-tick "Open "safe" files after downloading"

Yay!

Hope this helps someone! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.