Security Zone Settings

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to mac-forums, in fact I am new to mac computers. I have been a windows user for many years hence they are second nature to me now. I am finding the simplest thing difficult to do on mac as the interface and quick keys are slighty different (most of what I do on windows is done via the quick keys).

I would like to familiarise myself with macs as I can imagine they are great machines when one gets used to them. I have encoutered a wall at the moment and cannot find how to solve the problem it is very frustrating and I am on the verge of giving up on macs all together!!

My Issue:
When I log into internet explorer on mac the google homepage opens (i have set the homepage to google). When I do a google search an error message appears saying the following:

"Your Security Zone settings do not allow you to send HTML forms."

I have gone into preferences (command + ;), security zones, custom and set "submit non-encrypted form data" to "enable"). This did nothing and reverts back to "disable" automatically.

Could anyone shed some light on why this is happening (in complete laymans terms please).

System Spec:
iBook G4
Mac OS X Version: 10.3.4

Internet Explorer Spec:
IE 5.0 Macintosh Edition

Thanks in advance for any pointer in the right direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I very much doubt that anyone will be able to help you with Internet Explorer. Even Microsoft does not support Internet Explorer on the Macintosh anymore.

If you are still running 10.3.4, you should run Software Update (in your Apple menu) to upgrade to 10.3.9. This should also include the last version of Safari for 10.3.x, which is Safari 1.2 (I think.)

Since Safari 1.2 is still pretty old, you should consider downloading and installing the Opera browser. Opera is the only browser that still supports 10.3.x with it's latest version (9.6 at the moment.)

OP
T
Reaction score
Problem Solved

I had tried the software update but the 'window' crahed everytime. I think most of the problems stem from the fact that the laptop has not been connected to the internet for over 5 years, hence there is a lot of out dated software and security issues. Due to this the os x version will not update and neither will safari.

I have installed Opera as you recommended and i can now browse the internet.

Thanks for your help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Glad that helped.

You can also download the updates from Apple's Support site without using Software Update. (even if you have to burn them to a CD on another computer.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
And since you have a G4, you could even consider upgrading to 10.4 or even 10.5 (provided you have enough RAM). Those upgrades aren't available for free, but will go a long way to making your OS X experience even more enjoyable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.