Advice on buying printer/scanner/copier unit

Reaction score
Hi there. I have an iMac G5 and I'm looking to buy a new combo printer/scanner/copier. I'm interested in a low price model that's hopefully not huge in terms of size. I'm also looking for a model that's not too expensive when I need to replace the colour and B&W printer cartridges. Please can anyone help with advice?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Budget would be nice in order for people to help you.

All in ones tend to be large in comparison to your basic printers. I use a Epson Photo RX. Ink is like $8-15 depending on which ink I buy (some brands are cheaper and on sale). Adds up though. I paid around $150 about 4 years ago.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi there. I have an iMac G5 and I'm looking to buy a new combo printer/scanner/copier. I'm interested in a low price model that's hopefully not huge in terms of size. I'm also looking for a model that's not too expensive when I need to replace the colour and B&W printer cartridges. Please can anyone help with advice? Thanks!

I purchased a Canon Pixma MP620 several months ago for $149.95 at my local Apple store. (I had a gift certificate) The same printer is featured currently at WalMart for $99.00. Excellent color, copy, and scanning. Also a bonus feature is that it operates wireless if you so desire. Comes with a driver CD for OS X and installs very easily.

It features 5 separate ink tanks which are inexpensive to replace. I believe the most expensive one is the large black tank which sells for around $12 to $14 on the net and $16 from Canon.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My experience is that some models of Canon have issues with scanning but since changing to a Brother MFC i have been pleasantly surprised how simply they operate wirelessly with Leopard. Of course having the 2 wireless phone handsets running off the printer as well has provided an additional plus - less equipment, less cables.

Reaction score
I originally had a Brother (MFC 9440) but toner and drum unit were too much money for my blood and eventually sold it. We recently got a Samsung SCX- 4828fn if you only want black and white and couldn't be happier. Not only is the form factor nice and small, unlike the brother, but the networking was easy too. Cartridges are cheap and last a long time.Scan to fax and scan to email via network is not to difficult either. We decided to get black and white simply because color MFC is too pricey to maintain. The best thing, you can get this printer for $300 at neweggs. We have a regular hp cheapo printer for color hooked up to airport extreme with no issues. Hope it helps. Trust me Brothers are a bit of a money pit if you do a lot of printing.

John

Reaction score
HP M1005 scanning function doesn't work with Snow Leopard

I upgraded to Snow Leopard with my Mac Air. Now I can no longer scan using an HP M1005 multi-function printer connected directly to the USB. Previously I had a device option in the Image Capture menu that allowed me to select TWAIN for scanning with the HP. Any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I have the same printer as chscag and it works just fine with my Mac. Scanning is decent, although I wouldn't call it professional grade. Other features are great and as mentioned, the individual ink cartridges save you big bucks. I'd recommend that for ANY multi-function printer you buy, no matter what brand.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I just bought an HP Photosmart All-in-One C6350. It was $109 at Costco.

It's pretty small, and has built-in wireless networking that works incredibly well (even scans over the network). It uses 5 separate ink tanks that run around $10/piece. Also, has a dedicated 4x6 tray that it will automatically pull from should you choose to print a 4x6 out of iPhoto.

I'd highly recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have a C6380 HP for a year now with no issues and as cwa107 said it does everything
over the network and one of the few that give the ink level info correctly besides other stats.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have a C6380 HP for a year now with no issues and as cwa107 said it does everything
over the network and one of the few that give the ink level info correctly besides other stats.

I have to say, I was a big Canon fan until my MP500 gave up the ghost, unexpectedly (and that was not a cheap printer when I bought it back in 2005). I was never particularly impressed with HP products (outside of their enterprise-class laser printers), but I took a chance since the ink tanks looked reasonable priced and I liked the feature set on this printer.

I could not be more impressed with this printer. The output is gorgeous, it's braindead simple to install over the wireless (or Ethernet) connection and the drivers are not the bloated, monolithic drivers I've come to expect from HP - either on Windows or on the Mac.

I am just ecstatic about this printer, can not say enough good things about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.