Is the MacBook Pro worth the extra $200 over the white MacBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 2.8GHz i5, 4GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 5750 w/ 1GB 1TB hard drive
I've been thinking of buying a MacBook for some time now, and am considering between the standard white MacBook and the standard 13.3" MacBook Pro. (By standard, I mean not customized).

I am not an intense video or graphics editor, although I do a few minor graphics creation, but nothing too extreme. I need an entertainment centre though - something that I can watch movies and listen to hours of music on.

I was wondering if the $200 more that the MacBook Pro costs is worth it? I would really appreciate some assistance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
No comparison.

I bought at White MB, within 2 weeks I sent it back and picked up the new MBP.

Awesome bit of tec.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 2.8GHz i5, 4GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 5750 w/ 1GB 1TB hard drive
Thanks Chris. But could you tell me what exactly it was that made you take your white MacBook back and replace it with the Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Technically, the white Macbook will do you just fine for the needs you stated. However, for that extra $200 you'll get a backlit keyboard, a glass trackpad and glass screen, aluminum construction, and just an overall sexier computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina Macbook Pro 15" | iPhone 5 | iPad Mini
I'm going to have to agree with the previous posts. I mean I had a whitebook (gave it to the girlfriend) and it was great for what I needed. But with purchasing a macbook pro its a world of a difference. In this case its a 13inch one but still in terms of build quality the unibody design is second to none. Also if your concerned about battery life the new 13inch mbp get 7 hours. IMHO I would recommend the unibody you'll be glad you got it and it definatly won't disappoint.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yes it's worth the extra $200 for the display alone. Also the keyboard and general feel is improved.

I gave up a 3GB RAM White Macbook for this 2GB RAM 13" Macbook Pro and I rarely downgrade from RAM. (Of course, at some point I'll upgrade it but for now it's still an awesome computer.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook5,2, iPad 16 gb, iPhone 3GS 32 gb, Iphone 4
I picked up the little white 13" and I use it pretty much as you do. I don't have any complaints, and used part of the $200 savings to pick up a case, a brenthaven bag, and a tablet for it as well.

At some point, I might upgrade the RAM, but I really dont need it right now.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
For an extra $200, the screen alone is worth the price.

My advice for buying a computer (any computer) is this... set your budget (i.e. the most amount of money you can comfortably afford to spend), then choose the best possible model for that money. In other words, if you can afford the additional $200, go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Chris. But could you tell me what exactly it was that made you take your white MacBook back and replace it with the Pro?

Hmmm,

Plastic vs Aluminum body. Plus the plastic casing is prone to breaking at the edges with normal use, also with really clean hands it [I used to wash my hands before using it lol] it was looking grubby in no time at all. The 'feel' of the machine felt much more cheaply made that the Pro.

Screen - what more can I say! I posted some vids on youtube to compare:-

YouTube - bullychris's Channel

Trackpad - its amazing, like using my iPhone 3GS.

Firewire 800 & SD Card reader.

And the battery! I am getting the quoted 7 hours with one charge. The MB was getting around 3.

Its just so much more aesthetically pleasing, I cant wait to get my mitts on it when I get home from work. Where eventhough the MB White is a very nice machine, it just felt like a normal laptop. The MBP feels 'special'.

If I were you I would go to an apple store and see for yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 OS 10 800 MHZ
Making a similar decision, I think the build quality/construction is what could get me to spend the extra. Hopefully it should also be a little longer lasting and durable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Yes, it's VERY much worth the extra bucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if its build quality there is no contest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
For the uses you mentioned, you could shop craigslist for a used 2 year old white MacBook and save a bundle of the price of the New unibody MacBook. I really would like a new aluminum MacBook myself, but can't justify the cost. I gave about 600 dollars for my White MacBook about 9 months. It serves all my needs, just a little less sexily than the New 13 inche MacBook Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (2009) 2.26GHz, 160GB, 2GB
Just cuz I do so enjoy beating a dead horse, I too find the MBP to be worth the extra money. The most obvious reasons being appearance and feel (I really love the smooth feel of the palm rest, trackpad, and keys). On top of that, the SD card slot is very handy, the dual audio in/out port works well for me to video chat with iPhone headphones, and I think it's awesome that the keyboard and screen dim with lighting. I am also a person who is attracted to the cool factor of electronics, not just usefulness. If you want a computer to get the job done, go with the MacBook, or maybe even an older model as mentioned above. However, if you want to particularly enjoy using your computer every time, I highly recommend the MBP.

One thing I don't quite understand, though, about the changes Apple has made to their laptops is the switch from mechanical latch to magnetic closure of the screen. The magnetic form is actually rather difficult for me to open back up readily, whereas once you press the button to release the hook, the screen pops up a couple centimeters and away you go. Do other people prefer the magnet?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.