• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Building a Mini Apple Store Table

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Not sure exactly but to me it looks like spruce. However I could be wrong, also you could use any type of wood with a light stain and pick out a nice grain pattern.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Honestly, they look like they came from an Ikea store. They have a wide variety of tables that look just like this, and you pick the wood finish.

Welcome to IKEA.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
I think gagnerants is right. It is spruce. My dad works in the lumber industry, he once said "OH, nice spruce" when were in the store.

OP
D
Reaction score
Honestly, they look like they came from an Ikea store. They have a wide variety of tables that look just like this, and you pick the wood finish.

Welcome to IKEA.com

Very true..... but I thought as they were such a simple design I would build it myself. Nothing like furniture made from real wood.

I think Spruce might be part of the pine family, it certainly looks similar. Since I haven't seen Spruce in many timber merchants in Australia I might try pine.

I usually hate pine furniture as its orange and knotty but you can get timber from Timber Mouldings. Porta Australia timber mouldings and more that doesnt have knots and looks the part.

If I ever get it finished I'll post some photos.

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Knots look really good in many cases. But on a table, too many won't but you still need some knots.

OP
D
Reaction score
Knots look really good in many cases. But on a table, too many won't but you still need some knots.

I bet Steve Jobs wouldnt allow any knots in the wood.... only clean lines in the grain :)

Still expecting the next fit out of Apple stores to have tables made of one solid piece of wood

Dave

Reaction score
Finally!

I'm so glad this thread was created because it was driving me nuts finding out what type of wood that table was made of. Not even being sarcastic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Birch would be a good substitute, color and consistency wise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.