eMac power button logic board connector broken off

Reaction score
While installing a new HD on my 1.25 eMac, I snapped off the power button connector on my logic board . It was held in place by four small bent wires coming out of the bottom of the connector soldered to 4 pads on the logic board.

Does anyone have a quick fix, workaround so I can start the eMac without the power button or can forward me a photo,diagram or description of their connector and how it attaches to the board so I can orient the connector properly when I try to reconnect it?

Apparently, this is not unusual as the connection is so flimsy. No local repair shop will touch it. Thanks for your help!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Any chance you can snap a pic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
can forward me a photo,diagram or description of their connector and how it attaches to the board so I can orient the connector properly when I try to reconnect it?

I'll send you via PM a link to manuals that may provide you with sufficient pictorial and instructional detail to effect repairs. If you can do hot-air soldering, that'd be better than a hot iron on those delicate connections.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the pic for anyone interested:

emac.jpg

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, took a closer look at the switch pictures. Looks like it's surface-mounted and the solder pads are still fixed. This shouldn't be terribly difficult, although it's hard to judge the scale and whether or not an SMD workstation would be needed.

If it's big enough that you can get a soldering iron in there, and if you're familiar with the orientation of the switch, it should just be a matter of heating up one of the pads, soldering the first leg, which should hold the other four fast. Then, just heat up the other three pads one at a time until the solder has encompassed each leg.

Of course, this assumes that you are comfortable with soldering technique.

If not, I think you should consult someone that does electronics repair (I would look in the yellow pages). It doesn't appear to be that hard of a job, but a lot of computer-specific repair shops aren't accustomed to repairing as much as replacing components.

OP
E
Reaction score
yep, I'll give that a go. I think the easiest is to solder 4 small wires to the pads then solder the other end of the wires to the connector and epoxy the connector somewhere that is free .

Anyone out there know the orientation of the connector?

There are 3 wires going into the connector from the power button. 1 large red one , 1 large black one and 1 small black one. The connector itself has 2 slots on the narrow ends, 1 'M' shaped cut along one long side and the other long side that is smooth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.