Installed new HD in Powerbook G4--now fan wont stop!

Reaction score
Any help here would be immensely appreciated. Went from 60 to 250 HD. No problems, meticulous install. I have tried resetting the PMU. Downloaded G4 fan control but I dont know how to use it.........

Now, when I turn on the G4, the fan starts immediately and never turns off or slows down.

I am running Leopard 10.5.7 with 125 RAM.

Any ideas?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Perhaps you stirred up some dust inside. Have you tried cleaning the fan with some compressed air?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Any chance you went from a 5400RPM to a 7200 creating a little more heat and thus a little more work for the fans?

OP
O
Reaction score
Hi,

I just tore open the case again just to make sure I didnt miss something...I did not. I checked the drive I bought and it is a 5400. I also used compressed air and really cleaned it out although it was clean to begin with.

I downloaded G4 fan control and it does not appear that it is overheating but I truly dont know what the normal temp should be....and the instructions were lacking.

OP
O
Reaction score
Hi Harry,

I have seen that thread.......the thing is, I was very careful to unplug everything and make sure I didnt touch anything I shouldnt. There were no wires to unplug by the hard drive--just the orange cable.

I just downloaded a service repair manual, but I dont think it is going to help me.

I ran the hardware diagnostics and got an error that says 2fan/4/7: rear main enclosure. This almost sounds like the fan is malfunctioning, but its odd that it would start that with the hard drive replacement.

I am thinking about taking it apart again, (whew) and putting the old drive back in to see if the spinning fan stops. I am not looking forward to doing this again but its driving me insane!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.