• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can importing footage via firewire fry my camera port?

Reaction score
I was using my friend's Sony HDR-FX7 camera to transfer into FCP 5 using my G5 tower (dual 1.8 Ghz, OS X 10.3.9) but nothing would transfer or even play. The picture on the camera's view finder was frozen. I gave the camera back and my friend tried connecting the camera to her mac as well as others and they don't recognize firewire connection. She called sony and they said the port on the camera may be fried. How could this happen? I've used my Canon GL2 for years and never any problems. The worse part is when I connect my Canon GL2 to my system, my mac and FCP doesn't recognize a firewire connection.

I checked and my mac's firewire port works (tested with an external lacie drive) so does that mean both camera's ports got fried? I don't understand, I've edited for years and no problems. Is there a way the Sony HD camera screwed something up?

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thank you,
Doug.

G5 dual 1.8 GHz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
It will only be the 4-pin firewire 400 port on the Sony camera that got 'fried', not your mac port. Sony camera's have a nasty reputation of going wrong and getting burnt out (although they have improved this on the newer models).

The camera your talking about fits nicely in the middle of the time period this is associated with - if you search Google for 'Sony firewire port fried' you will see what I am talking about. Only solution is to replace the port which can be pretty costly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Ports can get fried on both cameras and computers.

One thing I would do is a cold shutdown and restart of you Mac, then retest your Canon. It is worth a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.