disk utility wont start

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 4g ram 500 gb seagate HD, IPhone 3gs 32gb, IPhone 3g 16g
hey all
ive been having a problem with disk utility for quite some time now, basically what happens is when i try to run disk utility it wont start, it'll show up on the dock for about 1.5 seconds then disappear. Also the icon is different its the black page with the ruler (this isn't my screen but it is the icon i have)
http://i34.tinypic.com/qnr1o7.png

i can get into disk utility via osx install disk and have repaired the disk and permissions with no problems. i have searched all over the internet and haven't found a solution, how ever i did stumble across the board and thought i take a shot and see if anybody here can help me. my next step will be to install pacifist and see if i can re install it? (im not sure if its possible)

if you guys have any solutions please let me know
thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Any chance your hard drive is within 15% of capacity possibly preventing search of drive contents? Also have a look at this link:-

Apple - Support - Discussions - cannot access disk utility ...

Also running Apple Hardware Test from the original install DVD may do the trick.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the fast response harry my hard drive was at 86% capacity, and i was in the process of changing my hard drive, when i attempted to clone my hard drive i had trouble initializing the drive. also i don't have the grey disk that came with the mac unfortunately it was lost in a move, i just have an osx 10.5 disk. is there any other way to preform a hard ware test?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry i have a 2.4 ghz macbook pro thats just over 2 years old. but problem has been fixed. i used pacifist and explored the osx install disk to find disk utility and reinstalled it. now everything is working.
thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Our pleasure. Hang around great place these forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.