Restore missing menu bar icons

Reaction score
I couldn't figure out why my volume control disappeared.
Later, I noticed that the "bluetooth" and "airport" icons were also missing.
I found this solution . . and it worked immediately.

"A while ago I started encountering a strange effect on my laptop. Every once in a while, all menu bar icons disappeared. Only the Spotlight icon was left, the rest of my menu bar was grey. Turns out that a part of OSX called SystemUIServer.app is responsible for displaying the stuff in the menu bar."

To get your menu bar icons back, it may help to restart SystemUIServer by doubleclicking it in /System/Library/CoreServices or copy and paste the following command into a Terminal window:

open /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app

Hope this works out for you, feel free to leave a comment!

note from bb: I only had to double click the "SystemUISeriver" and it restored the icons.

Reaction score
Solution for Snow Leopard

For Snow Leopard, you can navigate to "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras", and in that folder are all the system menu icons ending with extension ".menu". Open the one that corresponds to the missing icon, and you have the icon back again.

Hope I could help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Or, you know, you could just turn them back on in System Preferences.

Reaction score
For Snow Leopard, you can navigate to "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras", and in that folder are all the system menu icons ending with extension ".menu". Open the one that corresponds to the missing icon, and you have the icon back again.

Hope I could help :)

hi
i have the same issue with sierra
may i know which folder should i open?
thanks

Or, you know, you could just turn them back on in System Preferences.

hi how?
i did a mistake with notification center and spotlight , now i can restore them from system preferences

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You have tagged on to a 7 year old thread. You might have better response by starting a new thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.