Data Corruption: What Happens, and How Can You Fix It?

Reaction score
My computer is making a loud clicking noise--usually when just turning it on--and has been freezing up and crashing.
Our problems started when we tried to transfer music files from my Tascam digital 8-track recorder to the computer. One mistake was when we disconnected the USB cable before properly exiting the program. We were supposed to drag the tascam icon to the trash before disconnecting the USB from the computer. The Tascam manual and a warning sign that pops up both say that data may have been corrupted.
Our songs show up on the computer without a problem, but ever since then, we have been having all of the problems with clicking and crashing.
I'm not sure if the other problem I am having is related to this. I accidently deleted my song from the tascam's compact flash drive, and wanted to import it from the computer. However, every time I try to do this, the computer shows that it's copying the file, but the Tascam always says, "file not found." Could this be due to the data corruption?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That clicking sound is typically one of the first clues of a failing hard drive. (At least on those that don't just totally die.) This will cause freezes, crashes and not being able to find files in some locations on the drive.

If you don't have a back up of your data, I would suggest doing so promptly and replacing the drive as soon as you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Buy an external hard drive immediately. If you get a 500GB one, you should be safe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes it could be due to your disconnecting without ragging to the trash, although as bobtomay says sounds like HDD dying. If you have the OS install disc, boot from that and run Repair Disc and see what is reported?

Also Smart Reporter v.2.3.9 is a great little utility which places an icon on the Menu bar which advises state of your drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Seems like a fan problem to me. I'm probably wrong, though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.