Optical drive problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Hi guys, I'm trying to import into iTunes a 22-CD box set I bought today. I'm almost finished importing all the discs, but there's one that I have tried to insert into my MBP's drive well over ten times and it just makes some whirring noises and then spits it back out. Getting quite frustrated. The disc is brand new, flawless, plays on my stereo and is recognised instantly by my father's Windows laptop.

Any suggestions? Is there some way I can clean the optical drive? Have had this problem before but not for a while, and it usually corrects itself after I've tried to insert a disc more than two or three times.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I've had that happen to me last week. I just took it to the Apple Care Center and they cleaned the lens and everything in the Optical Drive and not it works just fine. Anyway, if you want to do it yourself, use this tutorial:

Installing MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo Model A1211 Optical Drive Replacement

This is for the 15" Early '08 version of MacBook Pro though, not the Aluminum one. Just search iFixit.com for your notebook's model.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Also, this tutorial:

Repairing Jammed Optical Drives

is for opening the Optical Drive itself in order to clean it. Clean it carefully though, and I suggest googling exactly what can be used to clean it in order to avoid spoiling it. If you're under warranty, go get the Optical Drive fixed or replaced, instead. I couldn't get it replaced for free because I bought it form the Apple Center in New York and I live in Cairo, Egypt; they told me that if they were required to replace the whole Optical Drive, they would have imported one from Apple Center in NY, and I'd just have to pay for shipping duties and that's it. Luckily, the Drive got fixed and is working 100% now.

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Thank you for your response.

Can I just ask go into the Apple Store and ask for a replacement optical drive? I got my MBP in January 2007 and took out the extended Apple Care plan so I have cover until January 2010. I have only gone into the store once with a complaint and to be honest, I felt as if I was being fobbed off. My comma key had come off and I couldn't get it back on... the 'genius' I spoke to told me that he'd put a new one on free of charge but when he came back with it it wasn't flush with the other keys. He told me it would level out with usage after a few days. That was about ten weeks ago and it's still the same. I haven't had a chance to go back because I've been busy and needed my laptop for uni, but now that I've graduated I'd like to go and get everything fixed while my Apple Care is still in effect. I also have a slightly 'sunk' power button, which doesn't affect the performance of the computer at all, but I feel like as I've paid for the extended warranty I might as well use it and get these issues resolved. When I mentioned the power button the last time, the response I got was, 'if you wanted that fixed, we'd have to take it away and probably replace the full casing'. Again I got the feeling that the guy couldn't really be bothered and was just trying to get rid of me. I had made an appointment in advance, I might add.

Are Apple Store staff generally this unhelpful or did I just happen to deal with an employee who wasn't interested? I don't know whether it'd be better to ring Apple Care directly or to go back to the store with these problems.

Any advice appreciated, cheers.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are Apple Store staff generally this unhelpful or did I just happen to deal with an employee who wasn't interested? I don't know whether it'd be better to ring Apple Care directly or to go back to the store with these problems. Any advice appreciated, cheers.

I can't vouch for the employees in your local Apple store, but the ones here (Fort Worth, Texas) are very polite and helpful. Make an appointment first and take it back in. If necessary see the store manager if an employee gives you a fast brush off or you aren't satisfied with their demeanor.

All the items you mentioned should certainly be dealt with and demonstrated to you as repaired. Be sure to backup all your data prior to taking the machine on in.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro Intel 2 Mac Mini Power PCS 1,33 G4
My macbook pro became picky about the media as well...after a good research I knew it needed a cleaning. I was asked for 80 bucks for diagnostics and probably cleaning but I knew I can do it myself. After careful reading of many threads I came to the following conclusions and eventually a solution:

1) Don't use compressed air since it will just make things worse: it's going to blast all the dust inside...
2) Don't try to squeeze cotton swabs through the optical drive since it's too big and will leave some stuff...
3) Cleaning CDs may work but cheap ones may damage the lens by scratching it.
4) Quick free solution: I used a thin plastic (came with the packaging of an SD card, but you can get any plastic used for packaging goods - usually the ones for electronics are tiny enough and strong enough for the job) + iPhone cleaning cloth (other similar cleaning cloth that's thin and doesn't leave marks for example for cleaning glasses). I wrapped the cloth around the plastic (like U shape around the front of the plastic), then while holding the ends of the the cloth I inserted few centimeters from the front of the plastic covered with the cloth in the optical drive, pushed and pulled a bit and it was all cleaned. The drive works perfectly. Just a few tips: I placed the cloth a bit to the left since LT pointed the lens should be at the left hand side. Don't use too bulky plastic or cloth since you may damage something or get it stuck inside. Hold the loth so it doesn't get inside the slot. You don't need to insert it so much since the lens is not so deep inside. It's just few cm in. All took me exactly 10sec to do. NB> turn off your laptop while doing it Smiling

Hope this helps Smiling

Top tip me thinks

How to clean the lens of a slot-loading optical drive (a MacBook Pro's SuperDrive) | monline

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.