God killed my macs. Replacement questions...

Reaction score
Okay, so lightening hit my house and fried a couple macs, among other things.
We've got homeowners insurance to cover the stuff, so it's all good.

I'm looking at the Mac Book Pro's to replace the tower and mini.
I do graphic arts for a living. I use pretty much the entire Adobe Creative Suite regularly, and am hoping to be able to do some work on the Mac, but not alot. I guess the most frequent duties the mac will serve are Hulu, Lightroom and Photoshop. I take alot of photos...

I've got a budget of roughly $3200, and am debating the value of the Solid State Drives versus non, and 8 gigs of ram versus 4 etc. I find myself leaning towards a solid state drive and 4 gigs of ram...am I nuts or is this good...

Also, it's $1000 to do 8 gigs of ram instead of 4. What am I missing here? I haven't bought in a long time, but that sounds ridiculously high to me. Can I buy 3rd party and install myself for cheaper?

Any and all thoughts are welcome.
Thanks!
-Ted

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
8GB of RAM is going to cost you around 700-800 dollars form a third party vendor. It's slightly cheaper, but not by much.

I seriously doubt you even need 8 gigs of RAM to begin with. Not unless you plan on doing some serious 3D renderings or heavy music encoding.

SSD is not worth the money. Use that money to get a larger external HDD, and upgrade the HDD to a larger size. IE 500GB 7200 RPM HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature
Don't get ram from Apple, way overpriced.

A lot cheaper to just get your system with the base ram the stock config give you and buy third-party ram yourself from Corsair, OWC, Kingston, etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.