Tiger in April?? NOOO!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
JRV said:
i will eventually upgrade but not right away.
same here, and I seriously doubt tiger will be released in april. mainly because there are still more than enough bugs to be worked out to push it into june or july easily. it will most likely be 129.99 when its released, and will come with new macs within a week or so of its release. just my
2cents.gif
, though its more like 2 quarters. lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
BurntSmore said:
When I was talking about Microsof Office, I was asking if there was a way to use the Microsof Office I have that I activated with a serial number, or would I need to buy new serial number?

It's not a problem. Should the software require re-activation and not allow you to do it on-line because your "hash" is too different from the original activation, you'll be able to call MS up, explain the situation, and be given a new activation code over the phone. It takes less then five minutes. They take your word for it that you are on the same computer with a different OS or that you have uninstalled your originaly activated installation before installing your product on a new machine.

I've done this numerous times at work with windows XP and office xp/2003 due to hardware changes, replacing old computers with newer models, or whatnot. Frankly, I think that the only people that gripe about activation either haven't ever had to do it or they are just pissed off because it makes pirating slightly more difficult.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
zakatov said:
Hehe, new iMacs are also coming out the same time Tiger is. enjoy!
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
You would not see an update to the iMac line yet, not before the PowerMac line. The PowerMac is over due, so you will see it updated first.

C

code777

everyone is saying the iMac G5 is being upped and NO Power Mac G5 update, but i beg to differ, not sure why everyone is so dead set that the iMac is getting a boost next month. What about the power mac!?

Z

zakatov

code777 said:
everyone is saying the iMac G5 is being upped and NO Power Mac G5 update, but i beg to differ, not sure why everyone is so dead set that the iMac is getting a boost next month. What about the power mac!?

I'd LOVE to see PMs get updated ASAP, but since the OP is about iMacs and we have info on iMac updates, that is what we post about in this thread :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive
I don't see why everyone makes such a big fuss on "Should I buy now or wait till a new version comes out." Live in the now. There are always going to be new versions of everything. Anything that sells well is going to be upgraded. If you see a mac that you want and you can afford it - BUY IT!! If everyone waited for new releases of something to come out no one would ever buy anything.

M

metsfan489

JRV said:
kind of quick isn't? whats tiger gonna cost if i want to buy a full version?

If I remember correctly, I do believe apple said that they were going to slow down the release frequency of osx.

R

RC23

Im wondering, If I upgrade to Tiger, will it have its own "folder" just like OS 9 does on my hd, and would it be possible to just drag and drop my OS X app's into the Tiger's Apps folder and have my os x apps run off tiger?

possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No, Tiger will replace Panther on your system, meaning that the current System folder becomes Tigers System folder.

But it will retain all your Applications, User accounts, Music, Photos etc...

It won't be a separate system - it merges with your current system and brings in new functions and will install new version of certain apps (Mail for instance).

If I remember correctly, I do believe apple said that they were going to slow down the release frequency of osx.

I think they said that after Tiger they will slow down the upgrade patterns. But I suppose that also depends what innovations the competition releases...

I also think that the current update cycle is quite a good thing - You can always skip an upgrade if you want and won't have many compatibility issues...
And if they release a feature that you think is really beneficial to you, you have the option of buying it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also, panther is tiger is the last backwards compatible os.
the only way to have both panther and tiger can be installed at once is to partition your hd.

JRV

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
No, Tiger will replace Panther on your system, meaning that the current System folder becomes Tigers System folder.

But it will retain all your Applications, User accounts, Music, Photos etc...

It won't be a separate system - it merges with your current system and brings in new functions and will install new version of certain apps (Mail for instance).

in your opinion is upgrading just as good as a fresh install? how is apple with there os upgrades. are they solid?

M

meltbanana314

JRV said:
how is apple with there os upgrades. are they solid?

Apple's upgrades are very solid. OS X gets faster with every new release, even when doing upgrades instead of fresh installs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yup, though I usually prefer an erase and install if possible, upgrade installs can sometmes leave behind a few things that will cause problems later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.