Problem with iMac G5 screen blurring & freezing up

Reaction score
Hi there. I've had my iMac G5 PowerPC for about 4 years now (currently running Leopard 10.5.7). Over the last couple weeks I've noticed the screen, at times, has been scrambling/blurring a bit. It's almost as if it looks like radio interference in a way. Whatever is on-screen appears a bit blurry and the colouring is off. In the past week, I've had to shut the computer off in order to reset it. The screen froze so I couldn't even shut down properly; I just had to power off. Could this be a virus? Can anyone offer any advice as to what to do?
Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds more like a GPU problem - not a virus. Run the Apple Hardware Test on your machine: Link

The AHT may or may not identify if the graphics processor is at fault especially if it's intermittent. There's always a chance it could be something else such as the display itself. Unlikely, but to make sure, try attaching an external monitor to your G5 to see if it displays the same symptoms.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks. I ran the Apple Hardware Test, and it said everything was ok. When I rebooted the computer, though, it was doing the same thing. It only happens occasionally, but I usually have to power off because the screen freezes (so it won't let me shut down). Unfortunately I don't have another monitor to hook up to the computer -- this is my only one. Do you have any other advice on how to address/fix this sort of problem?

Thanks again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Apple hardware test is not always reliable nor does it do well detecting an intermittent component. I still believe the GPU is acting up.

The only thing I can suggest is to try and swap out the graphics card in your G5. I'm not sure what model G5 you have but according to MacTracker the graphics card might be a nVidia GeoForce series card. You may be able to find one on eBay, however, make certain that it's the Mac version of the card. Those same cards are used in PCs but have different firmware and will not work in your G5.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.