MBP internet speed very slow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I'd be very grateful if anyone has any suggestions for me...

For the past few months I've been blaming my on-off problems with poor internet/download speeds on my ISP/router, but now that my dad has bought himself a new laptop and is surfing at the speed of light I have no option but to believe that my beloved Macbook Pro is the problem.

It's not always as bad as this, but this morning for instance I waited over five minutes for another forum to load, and I keep getting the message that 'the server at ebay.co.uk can't be found'. These forums loaded pretty quickly and I'm okay using Google at the moment but various other sites are taking forever and a day to load.

Is there anything I can do to speed this up? I encounter speed problems of this sort at least a few times a week for hours at a time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try setting up a location for home Apple menu/Locaation/Netwrok prefs and in that Location include the Primary and Secondary DNS numbers for your ISPs service. Here is mine; the ghosted one is the router.

Click for full size -

Use Automatic for roaming but Locations for usual spots seem to help;

Click for full size -

Reaction score
Unfortunately I ran into the same problem with my MBP, I tried everything thinking it was the router, I even had RR come over numerous times, but every time they came my speeds were normal. Try using the laptop in the same room as the router, see if you still have problems. If you don't have any speed problems with the laptop in the same room as the router, then your going to have to face your laptop towards your router when in other parts of the house.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.