iPhone 3G - HUGE data traffic!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SOON a Macbook Pro 15-inch unibody.
Hi

I changed my career last week to a cheaper one (regarding calling and messaging/mms'ing) because I don't use the 3G network at all (I have WiFi hotspots almost everywhere I go).

BUT, I got an e-mail yesterday telling me, that I had used almost 50MB of data.. IN TWO DAYS!?

So that just costs $42 bucks! Is there ANY way I can minimize this crazy data usage? I have disabled app-push service and 3G now. Will that help?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
Dude pretty much everything on the iPhone uses internet. Push and 3G will help alot but you will still be using it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why? I only use text messaging, when I check e-mail or use other apps, I wait for the WiFi connection to be established. :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
I bet the text messaging uses GPRS data though. If you click onto weather and stuff you will use data. And pretty much all apps now have adverts in them which are delivered over the internet, and even the ones that don't can still send usage data and stuff to the creator.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never had problems with text messaging and GPRS before on my last 20 phones - so that would be an iPhone only problem.

And as I said - I don't use ANY apps before I'm connected to the WiFi network, so apps would just go through the WiFi, not GPRS / 3G.

Reaction score
This is the reason why ATTM makes you get the data plan. Most people think it's to take money from people, but I have used 5.9GB of data in a month. imagine the bill i'd get if I didn't have the data plan and on a PPU basis.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.