Mac Pro Raid Card - Battery issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2.33GHz 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 sdram, OSX 10.4.8
Got a mac pro raid card in my macpro and i have configured 2 x 1TB drives as Raid 1.
I am concerned at the frequency at which the Raid utility calls my attention to a battery problem. Last week i waited 12 hours while the raid utility conditioned my battery. Today i received a red light warning message:

"Battery failed (code 0x#0 = 18)"

and then write cache was disabled due to insufficient charge.

My Raid utility seems to disable write cache to insufficient charge all too regulrly. How often does this normally happen? How long should a Raid card battery last?

The raid card is less than one year old and i am surrprised at how many times ive had reports of insufficient battery charge in the raid.

I'd love to hear other peoples experiences ether with similar battery life or whether your battery is operating charged without these problems?

Should i get the battery replaced?

Cheers

Reaction score
Replace it

Hi Evon Sleep,

I've just replaced my RAID battery under warranty (That's hard work!) and am expecting it to re-charge soon. Batteries should last several years so Error 18 seems to indicate a totally failed piece of kit. Telephone Apple and arrange a new one.

If my new one doesn't re-charge then I see a new card coming on; also under warranty.

Best of luck.

Tim

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2.33GHz 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 sdram, OSX 10.4.8
got it replaced. no hassle.
I must say, have only had good experiences with applecare.

Reaction score
I have had the same issue, it's driving me insane. My Mac Pro is almost two years old. I was glad to find this...Going to be contacting Apple tomorrow!

Reaction score
Happened again.

Battery only 2.5 years old.

Just replaced it.

£65GBP.

It's an expensive to run a machine. I've also just had to replace the vid. as the Nvidia died so I put in an ATI.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What happens when you ignore the problem?

I've had that on my Xserve for years, when it was run by our IT department they said just to ignore it. I haven't done anything to fix it and don't seem to be having any problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.