3g S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
well my b-day is coming up in 2 days and i was thinking about switching to the new iphone. i have the BB Storm right now. so my questions are to the ones who have them... do you notice any problems and do you have any gripes and complaints, besides att deal not to have mms ready for launch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Are you using your Storm on Verizon?

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
yes i am .. but i was thinking about switching to att to get the iPhone

Reaction score
I don't have any complaints. I still think it's a very minor update but it's your choice. It is faster and the video recording is a big plus. No complaints here but maybe others have some. My only complaints are with AT&T :)

Reaction score
the 3gs is a good upgrade from the previous versions of the iphone due to the big increase in CPU and Ram. the phone is very very snappy and very smooth. VERY smooth OS and have no complaints as of yet. and if you decide to go the JB route, there is unlimited ways of customizing and ming the phone better than anything out there.. 3gs>storm

Reaction score
Going from a 2G to a 3GS was worth every penny, but from a 3G to a 3GS it's not much of a big deal IMHO. I am waiting for my wife's contract to end then I'll get her the next generation iPhone or give her my 3GS :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
I love my 3GS very much. It is fast as can be and does everything I need. Worth every penny.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
awesome.. my b-day is tomorrow but i have to wait for my store to get some in (i work at Best Buy) we get shipments on friday.. i want a 32GB White.. thanks for all the input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I got a 3GS as my first iPhone and I've been very happy with it overall.

One thing that caught me off guard was how complicated it is to save a file "somewhere" on the phone. On my WM phone, I could right click an email attachment and save it on the phone. It had an Explorer roughly equivalent to the OS X Finder and you could copy, move, cut and paste files at will. There is no Finder on the iPhone. And the iPhone does not show up as a drive in the OS X Finder. You can't transfer a file to it via USB. Storing a document such as a pdf on it requires an awkward 3rd party app and a WiFi connection. It's not a big enough problem to be a deal breaker, but it's something that caught me off guard.

And once you do get the document saved via WiFi, don't expect to be able to select it as an attachment and email it to someone else...

Another obstacle I didn't anticipate was not being able to edit Word and Excel documents without a third party app. You can read them but can't edit them. But since it's such a hassle to save a document on the phone to begin with, you probably won't be editing too many Office docs anyway. And if you do edit them, don't assume you'll be able to email the revised doc to anyone.

Other than those minor issues, I think it's the coolest phone ever! Overall, I'd say go for it.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow didn't know that that is interesting anyone else have these issues? Also with the 3rd party apps can you save the edited file and send the files to someone. Not that I get many file that you can edit on any phone I do graphic design and no phone out there can edit a photoshop or illustrator file LOL.

By the way I am typing these on my iTouch... LOL to get use to typing on the phone if and when I get it

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sry double post

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also with the 3rd party apps can you save the edited file and send the files to someone?

The file saving is similar to the way iPhoto saves pictures. You can save them, but you can't pick where they are saved. They are saved within an area that is accessed through the application. There is no Finder that you can use to hunt around for them.

I should also mention that I have only tried a couple apps for these things. I read a few reviews and tried a couple that were supposedly the better ones. I haven't tried every app that's available, so it is possible that there are some other options I haven't explored.

I haven't found a way to email files yet either. Transferring seems to be limited to WiFi.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
as far as transferring files i found a app that seems to do the trick that you may be needing called Air Sharing (version 1.1.4.) check it out. works for Mac, windows and linux.

if you were wondering where i got it from check out this site there are a lot more on there. let me know if you find something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
as far as transferring files i found a app that seems to do the trick that you may be needing called Air Sharing (version 1.1.4.) check it out. works for Mac, windows and linux.

if you were wondering where i got it from check out this site there are a lot more on there. let me know if you find something.

I'm trying out one called iFile now, which sounds very similar. There are 2 problems though:

1. It only works when your connected to your WiFi network. I tried it at Starbucks this morning and it was an ordeal. My MBP was connected to their WiFi network (you have to enter a username and password to gain access), but the iphone couldn't connect because it wasn't logged in. I opened Safari, but it didn't automatically go to their login page, because it preferred to connect via 3G.

2. You still can't edit anything that you upload to the phone.

These aren't dealbreakers. You can always email yourself anything that you want to look at on the road. It just seems a little odd that something so simple is so ridiculously complicated. And ironically, I can always carry my unused $30 ipod shuffle around in my pocket and use it as a thumbdrive.

BTW: We're neighbors. I live in Deerfield Beach!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Anyone know off hand if the 3GS is the exact same size as the 2G? Has to be the same thickness to be held securely in my case.
(I'm just being lazy here. No need to google if you don't know, I can do that.)

Never mind, it's larger by fractions. Guess I'll have to go see if it will fit or not.

May have to go get the new 32GB after checking ebay and seeing the 2G 16GB is still selling for $200-225.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.