Downloading problem

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a mac osx version 10.5.7 and its a couple of months old. I dont know why but lately I haven't been able to download any programs. I've tried to download Jdownloader, speedownload, winrar, and Opera but I have the same problem every time. When i click the download button I either get a blank untitled page, or it loads for a second but nothing happens. A couple of minutes ago I tried to download winrar again and got the message saying, "If your download does not start automatically, click here". It never started downloading and I clicked where im suppose to, and nothing happens. This has been happening for a couple of days and i desperately need to fix it. thanx

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Download accelerators are known to cause quite a few problems with downloading if they are uninstalled improperly. Have you installed any of these? If so, reinstall it and use the provided uninstaller (assuming it comes with one).

OP
K
Reaction score
I dont know if thats the problem. I dont think i ever installed one, but i tried to download one(speedBit) and the same problem occurred, I clicked download, it loaded for a second and nothing else happened. Should I try to re-install something like Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As vansmith stated, speed downloaders do cause big problems in not uninstalled correctly. Have a look at your Downloads folder under Home and see if you did actually download one of them. Also check the Applications folder.

Have yet to see any of them increase download speed over and above what your OS can do.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok, ill check my folders but is there any download accelerators that come standard with a mac or any big ones that i should look out for? I just looked and found something called "Speed Download". I checked it out and it was a download manager and accelerator. Should I uninstall it?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes, that is likely the culprit. Make sure that if it comes with an uninstaller, you use that as opposed to simply dragging it to the trash. If you don't, you won't solve the problem. If you don't have the install disk image/archive anymore, download it and use the uninstaller there. Now, I realize that you can't download anything through the browser so executing one of the two following commands in the Terminal (/Application/Utilities/Terminal.app) will download either Speed Download 5.2.0 or Speed Download Lite 1.1.0 (both the most recent version).

Speed Download 5.2.0
Code:
curl -O http://nscocoa.com/~yazsoftc1/files/sd5/sd5.zip
Speed Download Lite 1.1.0
Code:
curl -O http://nscocoa.com/~yazsoftc1/files/sdl/sdl.zip

Upon checking each (I downloaded both), they both don't appear to have uninstallers. Nonetheless, the aforementioned advice is good for anything that does have an uninstaller. For this program, you should be fine to uninstall by simply dragging to the Trash. That said, if you want to make sure it is completely removed, install something like AppCleaner and remove Speed Download using that.

OP
K
Reaction score
It actually came with an uninstaller and I was able to uninstall it(i think). But i did get something in my Trash called "Speed Download Enhancer" and "Speed Download Contextual Menu.plugin" and "Speed Download Browser Plugin.plugin", but i cant remove it from my trash because i get a message saying these programs are in use. I tried to download appcleaner, but my problem was preventing it from downloading so i have no idea what to do now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try Secure Empty Trash and keep well away from them, in future. Your Mac is quite capable of doing its own downloads.

OP
K
Reaction score
I can actually download things now. But my last question is, when i downloaded winrar i get this file that says "rarosx-3-2.9.b3.tar" and get a file called RAR, but it has nothing i need in it. So is there a way to extract rarosx-3-2.9.b3.tar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
In Linux, people install .tar files using Terminal; at least that's what I was advised to do. I'm sure it's the same thing in Mac, but don't ask me what to type in Terminal because I don't know.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_(file_format)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X has support for tar archives built into Finder, much like many Linux distributions geared towards the average consumer do. Simply double click it and it will be decompressed.

The file called rar is likely the program. I checked and it appears to be a command line only program (ie. it has no user interface). You're going to have to use Terminal to run it. Are you trying to compress or decompress rar archives?

It actually came with an uninstaller and I was able to uninstall it(i think). But i did get something in my Trash called "Speed Download Enhancer" and "Speed Download Contextual Menu.plugin" and "Speed Download Browser Plugin.plugin", but i cant remove it from my trash because i get a message saying these programs are in use. I tried to download appcleaner, but my problem was preventing it from downloading so i have no idea what to do now.
If you still have a browser open, close it. If that doesn't allow you to delete the files, log out and back in and then delete them.

OP
K
Reaction score
I dont really know how to use Terminal that well bc every time i use terminal on something it always opens a command line or something like that. I think it would b easier to put some pics up to show u what im doing but i cant find my screenshots. Usually when I take them they always end up on my Desktop, but I just took some pics and i dnt know where they ended up.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're just decompressing, take a look at UnRarX. It should get the job done for you.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok ill try that, but i have another question that i desperately need solved also. Ive always had wireless connection and its always worked. But for about 2 months i havent had a wireless connection and i dont know why it stopped working.(i have a linksys router connected to my imac) The reason why i get mad over this is because every time i go on my itouch and connect to a network, Linksys always shows up and when i go to aiport on my computer it always says im connected. So, even though it looks like I have perfect connection I cant go on xbox live or my itouch bc i get no wireless connection for some reason. thanx for the help so far

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.