Do I Have a Bad 2009 Macbook Pro 15" Battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
Recently purchased two new 2009 Macbook Pro 15" computers. One has dual graphics and one is the base model with integrated graphics only.

Problem is that the higher end model has a significantly lower battery life when used in an identical manner.....4 hours versus 7 hours. I have set the graphics card on the higher end model to use the integrated graphics only so in effect they are running as the same machine. I know the model with dual graphics capability has twin cooling fans versus one fan for the lower end model.

Do you think the fan, faster processor or 7200rpm drive could account for lower battery life or do you think the battery could be faulty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Those can definitely be affecting your battery life.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
I figured they could affect battery life but I was originally getting close to 7 hours on the dual graphics model. I have 9 cycles on my battery. Can they go bad or loose their ability to hold a charge that quickly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Yes, it is possible for a battery to go bad very, because not all batteries work 100% all the time. I would take it to the apple store just to see what they might say.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
I am going to take to Apple store as I'm now only getting 2 hours battery time just checking email and surfing the web.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Recently purchased two new 2009 Macbook Pro 15" computers. One has dual graphics and one is the base model with integrated graphics only.

Problem is that the higher end model has a significantly lower battery life when used in an identical manner.....4 hours versus 7 hours. I have set the graphics card on the higher end model to use the integrated graphics only so in effect they are running as the same machine. I know the model with dual graphics capability has twin cooling fans versus one fan for the lower end model.

Do you think the fan, faster processor or 7200rpm drive could account for lower battery life or do you think the battery could be faulty?

I'm pretty sure the battery isn't faulty, of course a notebook running twin fans, faster processor, and higher graphics card drains out the battery quicker. But since you just bought it, go get it checked under warranty. Oh wait, you're already going to do that. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.