External Drive Partitioning for Protools, Itunes library backup, and time machine

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am curious if anyone has any input on the best way to go about partitioning my external hard drive [EH], which is a 1TB Western Digital Essential Edition/7200 rpm (only cost a benny on ebay...). When I first plugged it in, Time Machine [TM] appropriated it immediately while seemingly erasing all the other info on the EH.

In order of importance:

1) I need this EH for Protools [PT] session folders and recording, which I have recently discovered that having a specific partition for just recording in PT is optimal.

2) I would like to backup my rapidly expanding Itunes library, and am curious if it possible to have the EH synced so as to automatically backup only folders put into Itunes, as well as misc. school work on occasion; otherwise, I don't necessarily see the need to have TM sucking up CPU and space on EH unless

3) I am convinced that TM is something I should be using- at this point I will note that I am a rather green Mac owner (24" IMac 2.66 4GB mem. purchased this past spring) and wished I saved some fireworks for my dead PC in the closet. I have used Macs extensively in Audio studio settings, but as far as optimal configuration etc. that was all taken care of by other folks and not me...

Sooo, I would rather manually backup things as I need to (except Audiovisual files), as my computer's primary occupation is running PT 8LE with an MBox2 Pro- this is until I pickup another EH when I have the scratch.

*I am not super tech savvy, but seem to pick things up relatively quickly; I have never partitioned an EH and I am naive to pretty much any reasons why doing it one way or the other (in relation to my questions above) lead me to kindly seek wisdoms from any Mac Gurus out there who have a moment;) -
J

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.