Intel Imac locking up

Reaction score
I have started having a problem with my 2006 Intel iMac 1.83ghz. The computer graphics keep locking up when I am playing WoW (World of Warcraft) I suspect a possible hardware issue but am not sure as the problem only seemed to start after a fairly recent game patch. What happens is the screen will lock everything except usually the mouse pointer, I will be able to move this but unable to click or do anything, the computer still seems to be functioning in the background as I will be able to hear things happening in the game through the speakers and the harddrives still run. This is the usual symptom however once the screen went totally black after a few seconds and on another occassion I got horizontal brown lines running accross the screen.

I have tried all the usual things the WoW reps suggest to rule out software by reinstalling, removing add-ons, running in minimum graphics. I then tried SMC fan controller and noticed that the problem only seemed to occur once the reported temp reached about 59 degrees C. From what I have read however this is not especially hot, although I notice if I put my hand at the back of the mac the top left corner will be very warm. By running SMC with the fans faster I can avoid this problem but the noise is irritating. I have checked a couple of other things which I am not sure if are significant, activity monitor reports WoWs cpu usage at upto 150% which I find a bit odd, unless someone can advise otherwise. Also I installed Istat Pro widget which shows my GPU far hotter than any other component this gets up to 80 degrees plus but the ambient is only 30.

Any suggestions where I go from here? Im getting very frustrated with it. I usually have to reboot the computer but just discovered today if I put into standby and then out again sometimes brings it back to life. Thanks in advance for any help given.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like a GPU problem. A defective or intermittent graphics controller will sometimes lock the system up or put it into a "freeze" state. Based on your statement about SMC fan control, it leads me to believe the GPU is acting up when it gets hot. Putting the machine in standby or sleep mode allows it to cool down somewhat. Is your iMac covered under Apple care? If it is, you might want to make an appointment with your local Apple store and have them look at it.

If it is the graphics controller, there's not much else you can do as the GPU is surface mounted to the main (logic) board.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.