Crack/Split

Reaction score
Hi guys,
This is the first time I've been here. I was referred by a friend.

I own a white Macbook, which I bought in September last year (I can't remember the exact date, sorry). Everything is fine with it; I love everything about it and I've never had any problems what so ever :D

A few months ago, I noticed a mark on the bottom right of the keyboard section, just right of the touchpad. It turned out to be a small split, and to this day, I still have no idea what happened to it, but it's there. I decided to ignore it, as I didnt think much would happen with it. I continued using my Macbook on a daily basis, always using the touchpad (i just find it easier, and i'm too lazy to get up and sit at the table, and use a mouse). I'm a photographer, so I do go through some pretty epic editing sessions, always with the touchpad. Anyhoo, besides the point. I noticed earlier, during one of the editing sessions, that the crack/split had extended. It now runs the distance from halfway along the right ALT key, to halfway along the down key. It looks like it's about to break off, and it's lifting away from the rest of the case, which is a concern. Ive taken a few pictures for you...

mac1.jpg

A closeup of said crack/split

mac2.jpg

A little further out, so you can see the positioning on the Mac.

mac3.jpg

Lifting up from the casing.

:Grimmace:

I know it's really small and insignificant but it's irritating me, and bearing in mind that I spent "x" amount on this laptop, I'm not impressed that something has happened to it. It is covered by the one year warranty still, so I can try and get it sorted. My friend suggested that I requested opinions from you guys first though.

I'm so careful with it. I've never dropped, bashed or whacked it. I do use it a lot, but I've never misused it. I paid too much for it for me to handle it roughly.

So, what do you think? Can this be repaired? As far as I can see, it just needs a new insert thingy (I'm not a technical person; I apologise) on top of the casing, but you may know differently.

Any help appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.1 GHz
i think that sort of crack on the white MacBooks is fairly common, (correct me if I'm wrong), and they should fix it without a problem. Mine didn't crack like that, but it had hairline cracks along the casing and they fixed it for me, by replacing the keyboard, trackpad, palmrest, and whole bottom casing.

OP
S
Reaction score
i think that sort of crack on the white MacBooks is fairly common, (correct me if I'm wrong), and they should fix it without a problem. Mine didn't crack like that, but it had hairline cracks along the casing and they fixed it for me, by replacing the keyboard, trackpad, palmrest, and whole bottom casing.

Yeah, I read elsewhere, the same thing.
i've just found a load more cracks on the bottom casing too. Because of heat, I guess. I'm far from impressed that it's been less than a year since I bought it :( I love it...this is so annoying though.
How long did it take to get yours repaired?

Reaction score
Hi guys,
This is the first time I've been here. I was referred by a friend.

I own a white Macbook, which I bought in September last year (I can't remember the exact date, sorry). Everything is fine with it; I love everything about it and I've never had any problems what so ever :D

A few months ago, I noticed a mark on the bottom right of the keyboard section, just right of the touchpad. It turned out to be a small split, and to this day, I still have no idea what happened to it, but it's there. I decided to ignore it, as I didnt think much would happen with it. I continued using my Macbook on a daily basis, always using the touchpad (i just find it easier, and i'm too lazy to get up and sit at the table, and use a mouse). I'm a photographer, so I do go through some pretty epic editing sessions, always with the touchpad. Anyhoo, besides the point. I noticed earlier, during one of the editing sessions, that the crack/split had extended. It now runs the distance from halfway along the right ALT key, to halfway along the down key. It looks like it's about to break off, and it's lifting away from the rest of the case, which is a concern. Ive taken a few pictures for you...

mac1.jpg

A closeup of said crack/split

mac2.jpg

A little further out, so you can see the positioning on the Mac.

mac3.jpg

Lifting up from the casing.

:Grimmace:

I know it's really small and insignificant but it's irritating me, and bearing in mind that I spent "x" amount on this laptop, I'm not impressed that something has happened to it. It is covered by the one year warranty still, so I can try and get it sorted. My friend suggested that I requested opinions from you guys first though.

I'm so careful with it. I've never dropped, bashed or whacked it. I do use it a lot, but I've never misused it. I paid too much for it for me to handle it roughly.

So, what do you think? Can this be repaired? As far as I can see, it just needs a new insert thingy (I'm not a technical person; I apologise) on top of the casing, but you may know differently.

Any help appreciated!

Take it back to the Apple Store. These cracks are a known problem. You should get a new face plate and your computer will look just like new. If you had to pay, I believe it would cost about $140 for the part and installation. Good luck!

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, guys :)
Can anyone tell me what actually causes the problem? I'm guessing it's heat...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.1 GHz
Yeah, I read elsewhere, the same thing.
i've just found a load more cracks on the bottom casing too. Because of heat, I guess. I'm far from impressed that it's been less than a year since I bought it :( I love it...this is so annoying though.
How long did it take to get yours repaired?

we took it at about 1PM, they said 7 days - got a call at 5PM and it was ready! I guess it depends on whether they have the parts in store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM
Make an appointment for early in the morning and you will certainly have it back same day without a doubt, this is a common problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.
Thanks for your help, guys :)
Can anyone tell me what actually causes the problem? I'm guessing it's heat...

It's the magnets at the top of the computer on either side of the iSight.

Last week I called Apple and was sent to my University (authorized for repairs since there are no Apple stores anywhere near me). I brought my MacBook in on a Monday and got it back on Friday. This includes Canada Day in the middle of the week. I thought that was pretty good considering the holiday and living in the middle of nowhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Get it replaced under warranty before it spoils; fast.

OP
S
Reaction score
It's the magnets at the top of the computer on either side of the iSight.

The magnets?? Would it not surely be on both sides of the touchpad if it were the magnets? I can see where you're coming from, but why only on one side? :Confused:

And also, the cracking on the bottom (that I found after posting my original message) is on the bottom, near the hinge area. I'm aware that this is where the fan blasts out...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.
The magnets?? Would it not surely be on both sides of the touchpad if it were the magnets? I can see where you're coming from, but why only on one side? :Confused:

I have no idea, I don't work for the Apple design team.

There are literally a hundred threads and posts about this if you do a search. That's what I did when I started to see the cracking.

Regardless of what causes the cracking, Apple will fix it as it is a design flaw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2.66ghz i5 27" 4gb
I had same problem. After repairing it under warranty Apple store said they couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't happen again. I believe it may be caused by the raised ridges on each end of the lid impacting the bottom if the lid is closed too abruptly. As a precaution I stuck 2 thin self adhesive silicone bumpers on the lid, one at each end & it cushions the lid when closing. So far (12 months) it hasn't recurred.

OP
S
Reaction score
I have no idea, I don't work for the Apple design team.

There are literally a hundred threads and posts about this if you do a search. That's what I did when I started to see the cracking.

Regardless of what causes the cracking, Apple will fix it as it is a design flaw.

Yeah, I've since found more threads about it. Bear in mind this was my first post on the forum and I just wanted help...sorry... :(

OP
S
Reaction score
I had same problem. After repairing it under warranty Apple store said they couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't happen again. I believe it may be caused by the raised ridges on each end of the lid impacting the bottom if the lid is closed too abruptly. As a precaution I stuck 2 thin self adhesive silicone bumpers on the lid, one at each end & it cushions the lid when closing. So far (12 months) it hasn't recurred.

Where on the lid did you put them, and where do I get some? I can't quite visualise what you mean...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2.66ghz i5 27" 4gb
Where on the lid did you put them, and where do I get some? I can't quite visualise what you mean...

I got mine from the cabinet hardware section of our major hardware retailer. They are commonly called bumper stickers & are applied to the inside corners of kitchen cabinet doors to stop them making a noise when they are closed. they come in sheets, are self-adhesive & you will need the thinnest ones possible. If they are too thick you could cut them down with a VERY sharp knife, making sure they end up being the same thickness. Photo shows you the position of one of the two stickers.
Hope this helps
Pete

laptop sticker.jpg

OP
S
Reaction score
I got mine from the cabinet hardware section of our major hardware retailer. They are commonly called bumper stickers & are applied to the inside corners of kitchen cabinet doors to stop them making a noise when they are closed. they come in sheets, are self-adhesive & you will need the thinnest ones possible. If they are too thick you could cut them down with a VERY sharp knife, making sure they end up being the same thickness. Photo shows you the position of one of the two stickers.
Hope this helps
Pete

Ah, I understand now! Thanks for the picture :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.