does crossover uses its own wine or the wine of winehq.org

Reaction score
hey Guys, I don't know where to keep this. So i posted it here. Anyways One day I was going through the crossover thoroughly. And I found slight differences in codes of wine. Does anyone knows that crossover uses its own wine code or the code of the open source wine. I searched it other sites and it said crossover was a port of wine .... and that i know that but crossover has some differences. And i wanted to know that if we can change wine versions in Crossover by ourselves.
any help is appreciated.
Thnx :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
hey Guys, I don't know where to keep this. So i posted it here. Anyways One day I was going through the crossover thoroughly. And I found slight differences in codes of wine. Does anyone knows that crossover uses its own wine code or the code of the open source wine. I searched it other sites and it said crossover was a port of wine .... and that i know that but crossover has some differences. And i wanted to know that if we can change wine versions in Crossover by ourselves.
any help is appreciated.
Thnx :)
You might be able to but why would you do it? The changes that the Crossover dev team make would be optimized for their uses and you risk instability if you do manage to "switch" the two versions (this is assuming it's even possible).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm not sure why you would want to do this. As I understand it, Codeweavers does their own compile of WINE, optimized to work with the rest of their software. Crossover is well known to be more compatible with a larger variety of Windows software.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thnx for the replies guys. I want to do this to make chromium wrapper more effective as codeweavers aren't going to modify the wrapper. I also want it to learn more deeply about what's the real(code) difference in the wine and crossover.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Assuming you are talking about Chromium the browser, you can download Mac snapshots here. There is also a developer preview of Chrome available for the Mac here. You can also build Chromium for the Mac by following the instructions here. I've done it before and as long as you follow the instructions, you should be fine.

In short, there is no reason to use Crossover to get Chrome/Chromium for the Mac. Native builds are available for testing (albeit with less options available).

OP
S
Reaction score
Thnx for the info about native chrome.... but I am talking about the crossover wrapper so that I could test different apps in different wine versions. I want to change wine versions in crossover cuz crossover is quite polished than wine and other programs that uses wine. So if you guys can tell me the code difference in the crossover wine and opensource wine then I can get into the wine versions thing.
And thanx vansmith for the info about the OSX native of Chrome, sure need to check out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.