iMac G4 700mhz

Reaction score
Got an iMac G4 700mhz, 512 ram, 40gig HDD. Problem is, after attempting to install updates, if froze during installation and had to do a hard shut down. After that, I got a gray screen and loading indicator. I seemed to have fixed it by resetting the pram and nvram and the firmware thing. So, I decided to do a clean install but during the install It said there were errors and could not install. So I thought I would restart and try again. Upon restart, it ended up on a gray screen with a folder icon and a question mark. So, I did all the fixes that are supposed to fix this but no luck. I was able to boot into single mode and restart to the install disk, thought I was on to something but the part of installation that asks for destination to install, there is nothing there. So, I ran disk utility from the disk and the drive is fine. I then erased the drive to try again but the same result, no destination volume. I know the drive is not dead, I even installed the drive in my PC, and it was fine there. I have another iMac G4 700mhz with the same drive, I popped that one thinking it must be something else and it booted up fine. So, the hard drive is fine, the logic board is fine what else could I do? Here are some screen shots.
Boomstick68
[/URL] [/IMG]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What type of install disks are you using? For that machine Tiger or Panther full retail install DVD's would be the go. Pop the disk in, reboot and hold down 'C', go to Utilities in the menu bar and run Repair Disk from there, and if all is well proceed with the install.

If you are using system restore discs from another machine, generally the OS will install on that model machine only.

OP
N
Reaction score
What type of install disks are you using? For that machine Tiger or Panther full retail install DVD's would be the go. Pop the disk in, reboot and hold down 'C', go to Utilities in the menu bar and run Repair Disk from there, and if all is well proceed with the install.

If you are using system restore discs from another machine, generally the OS will install on that model machine only.

I have OS X 10.4, not from another machine. Now, I can't boot from CD or into single mode. ***. I am getting the folder/question mark now no matter what I do, but, if I swapp drives with the other iMac it boots up fine, plus I tried the drive again in my pc and it still lives so I don't know what to try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Seeing you cannot use the optical or hard drives, alas sounds like logic board problems or the drive has failed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 266ghz, 4gig, 320gigHD, MacBook, 2.4ghz,250gigHD,4gigRam
I think if I was trouble shooting this, after what you've already done is I would install the harddrive your having trouble with and put it in the G4 that you know is running alright, load the OS and if all go's well put the drive back on the G4 your having trouble with and see what happens. You may have issues with the disks or maybe the optical drive on the G4 thats giving you trouble.

Let us know what you find out. I would ask too, did you try and boot the good G4 with the bad drive?

HTH, Rick

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok, I don't know what worked, but, I just kept repeating the fixes until I was FINALLY able to boot into single mode, then reboot from the CD. From there I was able to run disk utility to PROPERLY fromat the drive. Apparently is was formatted to DOS and not OS X Extended (Journaled). After formatting it and naming it, I was finally able to install the OS and now everything is up and running. I wish I could tell you which procedure worked, but it just decided to cooperate after about 8 hours of troubleshooting. Thanks for any input from you guys. I'm sure I'll be back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.