• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Interface Throughput observations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This isn't a question, it's simply some observations I have made that some might find useful.

I recently bought a 1Tb internal SATA II drive to upgrade one of my internal 500 Gb internal SATA II drives (I have 4). I also purchased a FW-400 external case to house the 500 Gb SATA II drive and will use that to replace an older 400 Gb external IDE in a USB 2 tower. I initially put the 1 Tb drive in the FW case to move data since I could not shut my computer down at the time (ripping movies) but I have since swapped those 2 drives around.

Moving 450 Gb of data from the Internal 500 Gb to the 1 Tb drive in the FW case took 9 hours. Moving 250 Gb of data between 2 internal SATA II drives took 45 Min. Moving 280 Gb of data from the external USB 2 IDE 400 Gb drive to the external 500 Gb SATA II in the FW Case will take 11 hours.

Since none of these data transfers are equal in size, the comparisons are not exact but you can estimate how fast each interface is by the time it took to move the data across them. Either way though, you can get gist of what works best.

Ok, back to your busy day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.