Anyone in the UK import a 3GS from Europe?

Reaction score
Debating on importing a 3GS from somewhere like Italy where TIM sell them apparently unlocked - I believe they are unlocked and then lock to the network of the first sim that is used.

Anyway, the reason for this is that I'm lazy and don't want to be messing around with jailbreaking it, nor waiting for a new break when an update comes out. Also I think you have to move all your content back to the iPhone after jailbreaking as its essentially empty. I would prefer to get around this by having an officially unlocked one, even if it does cost a bit more.

So.. anyone done it?
Wondering if I can buy directly from the Apple Italia site and get them to mail it to me, or if I have to wait for someone I know to go over there an pick me one up..

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I would doubt that Apple would ship an unlocked iPhone from Italy because they have the exclusivity agreement with O2 in the UK. Just a thought.

OP
DB2k
Reaction score
Cheers Steve. I agree it would be unlikely - not tried it yet. So might mean I just need to tap a friend up.

Just concerned that I might find an issue after importing - although I'm assuming its fine, but I don't know anyone that has brought one in from another country unlocked so I can't find out what the problems if any are!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
You can order the factory unlocked iPhones off ebay. The Italian (TIM) iPhones are the most popular factory unlocked iPhones on ebay.the phone is unlocked via IMEI so the unlock goes with the phone.

OP
DB2k
Reaction score
Thanks - the ebay prices are super crazy. I think the 32GB one is about £600 retail so paying 800-1000 would not be acceptable at the moment for me.

thanks again bargsbeer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Apple italy does take foreign orders... but they generally cancel them a few days later. So your best bet is to make friends with an italian or go on holiday! ;)

You can also grab one unlocked in belgium..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
The prices for unlocked iPhones on eBay is ludicrous, I agree. I actually did have my original iPhone unlocked, but like you, I preferred the thought of being on a legit O2 contract (as much as O2 are ripping off their customers at the moment!) so when the prices came down a bit I switched to an iPhone tariff. I've just ordered a 3GS and am awaiting delivery of it. Managed to get the 16GB for £87, which I thought wasn't too bad. My original iPhone which is more than a bit bruised and battered is up on eBay. I'll have to make sure I'm more careful with this one! Hope you manage to get your hands on an unlocked model soon, DB2k!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.