mackbook pro gets really really hot

Reaction score
OK i have had this brand new MBP for about 3 weeks and it seems to get really hot.
i dont know if it is the aluminum casing but if i am ripping a cd to itunes and surfing the web it sonetimes gets too hot to put on my lap.

i have just downloaded the activity monitor from the apple site. i am wondering what temps i should be running at?

rite now i have
hd 92
cpu 130
enclosure base 90
enclosure base2 90
enclosure base3 88
enclosure base4 97
heatsink b 120
northbridge 112

i dont know what these numbers should be.
i changed all of the temps to Fahrenheit as well

if someone can please let me know where i should be standing and what is the danger zone i would much appreciate it.

thanks guys and gals

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have never seen my MB go higher than 83 or so and that was when I was encoding video. What kind of surface are you using your MBP on? You need to allow for proper ventilation - don't use it on something like a rug or blanket. The best surface to use a notebook on is a desk or something else with a hard surface. If you use it on a "soft surface", you restrict air flow which will in turn increase the temperature of your MBP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's normal for your MBP to get warm, even too hot to place on your lap. You shouldn't be using it on your lap anyway - that's why they're not called "laptops" any more.

Use it on a flat surface, not on a carpet, not on your bed, etc. I recommend using it on a notebook stand. That not only gives you a better viewing angle and allows air to flow under the machine, but it also protects it from nasty spills which can easily destroy your new MBP.

The temps you quoted do appear somewhat high. By the way, the aluminum case helps to conduct heat away and out of the machine.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Don't use it on your lap - this will restrict airflow and from what I have heard, excessive heat from notebooks in that region of the body (;)) is not good for it if you're a man. I don't know if this is true but it does make sense.

OP
E
Reaction score
i just put it on my friends webcam and i will let you know how hot it gets while watching the webcam

OP
E
Reaction score
Don't use it on your lap - this will restrict airflow and from what I have heard, excessive heat from notebooks in that region of the body (;)) is not good for it if you're a man. I don't know if this is true but it does make sense.

well that would be a stupid idea for apple if they made a laptop, lol

OP
E
Reaction score
now the cpu is at 160
heatsink 140
northbridge 124

thts with watching my buddies webcam.
i was just staring at his fishtank for 10 mins, lol

OP
E
Reaction score
Ok so are those numbers something to be worried about or is the computer just getting normal hot and the aluminum just making feel extra hot. Like I said I have no idea on what numbers to look at but this is what istat gave me.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You haven't mentioned whether you are using metric or imperial units here. If that's 160F, you're fine. My 83 was metric and 83C is 181.4 (it was only here temporarily though). 160F is a little high IMO but probably okay.

Now, if you are somehow at 160C, run. I don't think this is metric though. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.